Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: complete newbie
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers complete newbie Post 24987 by davidjk on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 08:12:43 AM
Old 07-23-2002
complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux
and i create a partiton and install it no worries
then i start and i cant access any of my other drives
i can mount cd roms and floppies

so i am logged in as root

what i want to do is
mount the following drives
drive 1 ide partition 2

drive 2 to 5 seen as scsi drives

i want the drives to be mounted for everyone permanently
now i have had a look through the forums but i am a complete newbie at this and nothing seems to be exact

please help me understand what i need to do and how i do it
i dont care where the drives get mounted
and yes i know what the drives are called but they are at home and i cant see them

i mean

so far from what i have seen i like it better than windows

i have a nice looking os
and i cant access anything
so i cant get on the internet because all my drivers are on the other HD.

please help a complete newbie migrate from windows to linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie Question

I am in a test environment where i need to test several versions of UNIX, such as linux, solaris, SCO (ODT and Unixware). What i would like to know is there a universal way to work with the contents of a floppy diskette? I know some give you dos-like commands, but am looking for a way to access and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpinion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete New Bie Here

Hello Guys I am a complete New bie in UNIX ( Just know a few of the commands ). Please guide how should I learn Unix In a proper way . I am doing a job, so i will have to do the study at home . Which books , Links, Pages you will suggest me so that i can learn UNIX fast . Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complete Newbie requiring help

Greetings Just joined this forum and a complete newbie. So please be gentle :) I've never really scripted before nor had a project where I required to write some code. However I have a large project which I am currently doing by manually. I was wondering if someone could help me determine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoops
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant complete lab ???

heres the lab i did everything but when i issue the automated lab check. but it gives me this everytime ''you are missing the /home/smichaels/Labs/lab2b/group file, please create it as per step 12 of the lab. once you have corrected this problem, re-run the uli101.023 program'' im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ink
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie looking for advice

Hi everyone! I've been browsing the forum for a couple of days, and thought it was about time to chime in. I'm having a pre-mid-life mid-life crisis (I think), and am seriously debating a career shift. I currently use a bash shell in my day to day work (very basic file management, FTP, backups,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bravestarr
8 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)