Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: denial of serivce!!
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users denial of serivce!! Post 24823 by alphawave on Thursday 18th of July 2002 07:00:45 AM
Old 07-18-2002
Keeping the server daemons and OS tcp/ip stack patched cannot be stressed enough, the most effective DOS attacks are those which cause much system resource to be consumed for little traffic (such as a buffer overflow crashing an apache process, the request is small but the recovery uses resource, If I can send 100 requests a second to a vulnerable box then it has to spawn 100 processes a second and still serve other clients, this scales rather badly).

There are two other things you can do:

1.) Look at your gateway routers and be certain these too are patched. You may like to look at some of the advanced traffic queueing options which may be there.

2.) A proactive monitoring system so you can detect abnomally high loads on a machine,strange traffic patterns in your network , alalyse events and then block the source IP addresses as far out as possible (preferably at your ISP, otherwise he who has the greated bandwidth will win).

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission Denial

Hi, I have login as root user create a folder call engin at /usr/local , then change it owner and group to another user egr. Then login as egr and create a folder call nt at user home directory. This 2 folder are having same owner and group. When I login as egr I try to copy file from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaseloh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KSH denial error code?

Hi All, I am trying to access ISQL via shell script(SSH). It was working fine (the script had permissions to access for ISQL). Occasionally I am getting the denial message. May I know what is the issue? D FILE abcd Exec 69 2 /sybase/OCS-12_5/bin/isql /usr/bin/ksh What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
0 Replies