Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Creating A Make Recovery Tape Post 24776 by spawarrior on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 03:04:40 PM
Old 07-17-2002
Question Creating A Make Recovery Tape

A customer called me and stated that when they created a make recovery tape for their hp-ux 9000/770, it wiped out three of their volume groups from the lvmtab, fstab, /dev directory(all associated files). I didn't believe them until I conducted a tech assist. I restored their system by recreating the volume groups from SAM. After completing our disaster and recovery procedures, all was fine until I created a new make recovery tape. I monitored the entire process, after completion I looked at the file save.log to check for errors from the make recovery but the tape was created successfully. The next morning I came in and to my suprise, the system was back to it's original state when I came for the tech assist. So there is something in the creating of the make recovery tape that is not restoring the volume groups back to normal. I believe it's the import.scr file that's not running. Do anyone have a clue to what could be the problem....

Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

make recovery tape for solaris

Hello All I am need of amke recover tape for solaris.Could anybody tell me how do i create a make recovery tape for solaris.I am on sun-solaris 2.8 regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Command to determine Tape Drive model and make

Hi, We have some IBM LTO tape drives connect over SAN. I have the following questions :- 1) Command that can list the tape drive details like who is manufacturer, model number, make etc etc 2) I would like to know what are the key differences between IBM LTO Generation 1 and Generation... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
5 Replies

3. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

IGNITE / Make recovery

Hi, Currently, we are doing make recovery in our servers but dds tape drive of 1 of our servers is not working. I suppose to use external dds tape drive but the problem is that there is no slot from the server for the scsi type external dds device. Is it possible to use drives from other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tris
5 Replies

5. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

6. HP-UX

HP-Unix 64 bit Tape Drive creating problem

Hello All, I have HP Openview storage data protector version 5.5. When I am going to write my backup I have an error message saying "Connot Open Device /dev/rmt/0mn" Follownig is my output: # ls -l /dev/rmt/0mn crw-rw-rw- 2 bin bin 205 0x080140 Jan 17 16:41 /dev/rmt/0mn # uname -a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellozishan
2 Replies

7. AIX

Boot from TS3200 FC tape library in case of mksysb recovery

Hi all, Is it possible to boot from SMS menu boot devices into TS3200 FC tape library in case of an mksysb recovery on system p550 - 520 power6. please note the library is fibre channel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies
RESTOR(1M)																RESTOR(1M)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restart). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(1) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the filesystem was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus /etc/mkfs /dev/rp0 40600 restor r /dev/rp0 is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
default tape unit varies with installation rst* SEE ALSO
dump(1), mkfs(1), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when the next tape has been mounted. BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor doesn't use it. RESTOR(1M)