Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers install Linux 7.3 using DIsk Druid Post 24441 by trynew on Thursday 11th of July 2002 03:18:46 PM
Old 07-11-2002
actually you don't care about this if you read the installation procedure before you installed. usually we are going to mount 1000MB space on /(root), the output may slight larger than you given, so does the same, it's may left some space unused(only a portion) even though you used up hard disk spaces...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install a new disk - i'm a total novice

Hi, This is the last of my two questions. Unfortunately i'm a total unix/solaris novice and our current solaris project has landed on my lap!! Sorry to bother you all!!! I currently have a solaris 7 system with two IDE disks in it. I need to add a third disk and install another version of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJD
3 Replies

3. Linux

Strange Disk problem on Install

Hello Forum, I am getting a very strange symptom whilst doing an install of CentOS on to an X64 system and I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem. I have two disks (PATA) installed to IDE0 (master) and the CDROM installed to IDE1 (slave) as a slave device. When I boot up the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenux_tux
0 Replies

4. SCO

Incorrect Disk Partition - New Install SCO 6.0

New IBM x3400 machine with a raid 5 configuration. Go through the early setup routine to the point where I answer the questions for time zone, machine name. Enter continue and get a message stating : "Incorrect disk partitioning cannot continue" This is a sco message, refers to the installation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wjbtms
1 Replies

5. Solaris

install new disk

I am attempting to install a new internal disk. System is running Solaris 9/05. I did a touch /reconfigure and see the disk when I type format command. But the cxtxdx disk shows "drive not available". Any idea if we are supposed to configure anything with this disk? I have not format the disk... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install new packages when disk space is full

during installation i created four partitions mainly / 5GB /home 1GB /boot 100MB swap 2GB now since i didnt make the /usr partition all of the packages were being installed in the / partition ..now all the space in the / partition is filled ...i ran du -h... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

8. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

9. Red Hat

install redhat linux 5 into usb disk

Hi, I have 2 question. 1)how can I install the redhat linux 5 into USB disk and boot from USB disk forever. 2) how can I backup an existing redhat linux from hd to USB by disk image and make the USB bootable afterward , so I can use usb disk to boot the linux in another machine .... Please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)