Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get едц in e-mail message body Post 24268 by de98luto on Tuesday 9th of July 2002 09:44:03 AM
Old 07-09-2002
Yes, the characters are lost when i mail a local user on the UNIX system.

/Tomas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail message body buffer limit?

when sending the contents of a ascii file to the body of an email then sending it off. it seems sendmail is breaking up the lines with a "!" thus ruining the data. Has this ever happened to anyone? i am guessing there is a line buffer limit in either the mail command or in sendmail itself. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX send mail with HTML message body and a binary attachment

I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command line switch to specify file name of a binary attachment 3. command line or input file to specify... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/mail - inserting file text in message body

I've got the following code sub mail_report { $Mailer = '/usr/sbin/sendmail joe@somewhere.net'; open MAIL,"|$Mailer"; print MAIL "Subject: $X connection attempt \n"; open MESSAGE, "<$outdir$X"; print MESSAGE '$outdir$X\n'; close MESSAGE; close MAIL; } #End... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

4. AIX

Send mail attachments and have a mail body

Hi, How can I send mail attachments from shell script (AIX) and have a mail body as well ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send a mail with attachement as well as message Body..?

Hi all, i am working with CSH, i want to know that how to send a mail in UNIX shell script (CSH) with attachment as well as message body. i know that how to send a mail with attachment and message body. but i want know both things in a single mail Suggession would be appreciate. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx empty body message

Hi, Is there a way to suppress this message? Null message body; hope that's ok My email string is: mailx -s "This is my subject" myemail@domain.com < /dev/null It's just an annoyance to me that I would like see go away. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx with attachment and message body

i have to attach the 'body in the email' along with attachment below code is throwing errors, how can i do it ? here body file contains message, it should display in email, please help i am using HP-UX (cat body ;) (uuencode attch1 attch1 ;) | mailx -m -s "testing" "abc@gmail.com" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Cant get message body

Hi guys . I am trying to take the output of top command and mail it to myself . The code is : echo ############################################################## /usr/local/bin/top c n 1 b >> /export/home/top-output.txt echo ############################################################## ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Message Body while sending an email

I am making use of the following code to display the results of my txt file in an email: mail -s 'Count Validation Test Comparison Results' Ronit@XYZ.com < Count_Validation_Results_`date +%m%d%Y`.txt Email Output: ----------Query 1 Count Validation Results-------- Source count is 4 Target... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sending email with message body and attachment

Hello experts!! I am trying to send an email with message body and attachment.but i am getting any one like message body or attachment. I tried below command: (echo "subject:test";echo "MIME-Version: 1.0";echo "content-transfer-encoding:base 64";echo "content-type:txt;name=test.txt";cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devipriya Ch
2 Replies
MAIL.LOCAL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MAIL.LOCAL(8)

NAME
mail.local - store mail in a mailbox SYNOPSIS
mail.local [-7] [-B] [-b] [-d] [-D mbdb] [-l] [-s] [-f from|-r from] [-h filename ] user ... DESCRIPTION
Mail.local reads the standard input up to an end-of-file and appends it to each user's mail file. The user must be a valid user name. The options are as follows: -7 Do not advertise 8BITMIME support in LMTP mode. -B Turn off the attempts to notify the ``biff'' service. -b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary error if a mailbox exceeds quota. -d Specify this is a delivery (for backward compatibility). This option has no effect. -D mbdb Specify the name of the mailbox database which is used to look up local recipient names. This option defaults to "pw", which means use getpwnam(). -f from Specify the sender's name. -l Turn on LMTP mode. -s Turn off the fsync(2) call that forces the mailbox to be committed to disk before returning a "success" status. -r from Specify the sender's name (for backward compatibility). Same as -f. -h filename Store incoming mail in filename in the user's home directory instead of a system mail spool directory. The next options are only available if mail.local has been compiled with -DHASHSPOOL. -H hashtypehashdepth Select hashed mail directories. Valid hash types are u for user name and m for MD5 (requires compilation with -DHASHSPOOLMD5). Example: -H u2 selects user name hashing with a hash depth of 2. Note: there must be no space between the hash type and the depth. -p path Specify an alternate mail spool path. -n Specify that the domain part of recipient addresses in LMTP mode should not be stripped. Individual mail messages in the mailbox are delimited by an empty line followed by a line beginning with the string ``From ''. A line con- taining the string ``From '', the sender's name and a time stamp is prepended to each delivered mail message. A blank line is appended to each message. A greater-than character (``>'') is prepended to any line in the message which could be mistaken for a ``From '' delimiter line (that is, a line beginning with the five characters ``From '' following a blank line). The mail files are exclusively locked with flock(2) while mail is appended, and a user.lock file also is created while the mailbox is locked for compatibility with older MUAs. If the ``biff'' service is returned by getservbyname(3), the biff server is notified of delivered mail. The mail.local utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
TZ Used to set the appropriate time zone on the timestamp. FILES
/tmp/local.XXXXXX temporary files /var/mail/user user's default mailbox directory /var/mail/user.lock lock file for a user's default mailbox SEE ALSO
mail(1), flock(2), getservbyname(3), comsat(8), sendmail(8) WARNING
mail.local escapes only "^From " lines that follow an empty line. If all lines starting with "From " should be escaped, use the 'E' flag for the local mailer in the sendmail.cf file. HISTORY
A superset of mail.local (handling mailbox reading as well as mail delivery) appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX as the program mail. $Date: 2013-11-22 20:51:51 $ MAIL.LOCAL(8)