Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A Challenging Situation : i hope the moderators will respond to this problem.. Post 24155 by BAM on Sunday 7th of July 2002 03:19:28 AM
Old 07-07-2002
Data A Challenging Situation : i hope the moderators will respond to this problem..

I have the following situation :

i have 4 Unix Sco servers, one Windows 2000 server, and an ADSL internet connection. All the servers, that is the 4 unix and the windows server have real static IPs supplied by my ISP.

the servers are connected to a Switch , the switch is connected to an ADSL Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 router, which in turn is connected to the telephone line. the Router has a real static IP gateway.

if i log into one of my local unix servers, i can telnet and ftp to another unix server in another country(another network), BUT here is the problem : i can ping from that remote server all of my local unix servers, but i cannot telnet ot ftp or rlogin to any of them, so why is that?? if a remote server can ping my local servers why cant the remote server ftp or telnet or rlogin my local servers????? is it possible that my isp should enable the specific ports for telnet and ftp and rlogin???? or is it a problem related to some Unix Sco netywork configuration in my local servers???

i would appreciate ur help

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Challenging situation for the MODERATORS

Well, I hope this way you will respond to my inquiries. I have 4 unix servers,with static ips (though i dont think this is an issue)....i can telnet and rlogin from one to the other....if i FTP from on et othe other and try to execute : cd /user return /user : no such file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

2. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Challenging Problem. Please read fully.

Hi, This is the Third thread i'm putting here for the same problem. :( Actually, i'm trying a script like this.. but its taking a long time.. about 3 days to complete fully.. #!/bin/ksh if then exit 1 fi while read i do while read j do field7=`echo $j|cut -d "|"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging Awk array problem

Hi, I rather have a very complicated awk problem here, at least to me. I have two files. File 1: 607 687 174 0 0 chr1 3000001 3000156 -194195276 - L1_Mur2 LINE L1 -4310 1567 1413 1 607 917 214 114 45 chr1 3000237 ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy VI Question (I hope)

Hi, I've FTPed some text files from windows to my Linux workstation. I'm finding that the characters for quotes (") have been replaced with control characters <93> and <94>. and apostrophes (') have been replaced with what looks like control character <92>. I have attempted the following... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryjmoon
15 Replies
Xserver(1)						      General Commands Manual							Xserver(1)

NAME
X - X Window System display server dispatcher SYNOPSIS
X [ option ...] DESCRIPTION
: Hewlett-Packard supports two X servers on HP-UX platforms, the Xhp X server which supports HP VISUALIZE graphics devices and the Xf86 X server which supports all other graphics devices. These X servers are delivered as /usr/bin/X11/Xhp and /usr/bin/X11/Xf86. The X dispatcher determines which X server to launch based on the available graphics devices. The control file /etc/X11/Xstart can provide additional guidance to the X dispatcher. The control file allows the user to specify which X server to start for given display connection numbers. The only X servers supported by the X dispatcher are Xhp, Xf86 and Xvfb. If no Xstart file exists, the dispatcher loads the appropriate X server for the graphics device in the system. HP-UX does not deliver the /etc/X11/Xstart file. This file can be created by using the SAM/SMH utility. OPTIONS
If the X dispatcher is invoked with no arguments, the display connection is assumed to be :0. The X dispatcher checks for display connec- tion options and, if found, uses that display connection number when it checks the Xstart file. All other options are passed on to the X server when it is started and it is the X server's responsibility to validate these options. Not all options may be supported on both X servers; refer to Xhp(1) and Xf86(1) to verify supported options for each X server. RETURN VALUE
None Xstart EXAMPLES The control file syntax is the X server to start followed by the display connection number. Valid entries take the form of: Xhp :0 Start the Xhp X server on display connection 0 Xf86 :10 Start the Xf86 X server on display 10 /usr/bin/X11/Xhp :5 Start the Xhp X server on display connection 5 /usr/bin/X11/Xvfb :7 Start the X Virtual Framebuffer server on display connection 7 FILES
/etc/X11/Xstart Dispatcher control file. /var/X11/Xserver/logs/Xstartup.N.log X dispatcher log file for display N. SEE ALSO
X(1), Xhp(1), Xf86(1) STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
See the appropriate section in Xhp(1) or Xf86(1). Xserver(1)