Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Traceroute and Whois mystery
Special Forums IP Networking Traceroute and Whois mystery Post 24010 by DumDum on Wednesday 3rd of July 2002 05:26:50 PM
Old 07-03-2002
Traceroute and Whois mystery

Hey folks, I've been charged with the job of finding out who's been screwing around with the download counts on our site. So now I have this huge list of IP's that I supposed to match to such and such developer.

I was told by one guy that I should just do a traceroute and that'd tell me where the IP came from. I had another sys. admin guy tell me that all I need to do is a whois on the IP address and I'd be able to get the developers name, etc.

Neither of these options has worked the way I was told. I'll do a traceroute on one IP and get some server in South Dakota or Minnesota but the developer is based in Russia. Or, I'll do a whois on an IP that should be developer XYZ and get godaddy.net as the registrar, referral URL, etc.

How can I put in an IP address and find out exactally who's computer that is and where it is?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

The Mystery Directory

Hello Everyone, I am currently running a large Server with Veritas Volumen Manager, attached to a EMC. uname -a SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-47 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880 I have one directory that tends to change to a file.Once in a while and always in different time.The file is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peterh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A perplexing mystery

A perplexing mystery... please note that i am not a lacky, and the error below is misleading recently something i do all the time broke (a script). now when i run this script i get this error. /usr/bin/awk: 0403-027 The parameter list is too long. note that the (parameter list is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nullwhat
9 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I/O Error Mystery

I burned identical raw encrypted data to three cds using my new external Toshiba drive. My internal IBM read only drive does not get an I/O Error when reading in Circumstance #1, but does get an I/O Error in Circumstance #2. But, the Toshiba drive can do both circumstances without an error. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darkstarxor
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mystery about Case Statement

Can I make use of two command variable in case statement case $2 $3 in stp) Firewall disabled echo " Changing the http Proxy configuration " ;; str) Firewall enabled echo " Setting right http Proxy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort mystery

Hi everyone, I can't seem to understand the behavior of sort on a particular case. cat tmp25 1 a 10 b 20 c 2 d I do that: sort -k1,1 tmp25 1 a 10 b 2 d 20 c This one I understand, it's what i expected, from a string point of view 1<10<2<20 sort -k1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.brassac
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whois country help

Hello folks, I have list of ips like 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.4 whois 1.1.1.1 |grep -E 'country|Country' it show country=US or whatever. so i have number of ips in text file, how i can use above script to automate output like 1.1.1.1 US 2.2.2.2 CA 3.3.3.3 FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission mystery ?

Hello, running AIX 6.1 # ls -la /home/user1 drwxrwxrwx 8 user1 staff 4096 Apr 19 2011 . drwxr-xr-x 8 bin bin 256 Feb 08 2011 .. drwx---r-x 2 user1 staff 256 Apr 13 2011 dir1 # su - user2 $ cd /home/user1 $ ls dir1 ls: dir1: The file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache Mod_rewrite Mystery

Hi Folks, I am running on a CentOS 6.3 server, whose primary function until recently has been my Zimbra mail server exclusively. I added wordpress and I have not been disappointed, with this one exception of Apache mod_rewrite. I have already tried to set selinux to permisive to eliminate that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjm51213
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell functions mystery

so i noticed that when a shell script has a function defined in it, running "sh -x" on that shell script from the command line doesnt show what the function is doing. i like this. is there anyway for anyone to get around that? to be able to see exactly what a function or functions are doing? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
Net::Whois::Parser(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Net::Whois::Parser(3pm)

NAME
Net::Whois::Parser - module for parsing whois information SYNOPSIS
use Net::Whois::Parser; my $info = parse_whois( domain => $domain ); my $info = parse_whois( raw => $whois_raw_text, domain => $domain ); my $info = parse_whois( raw => $whois_raw_text, server => $whois_server ); $info = { nameservers => [ { domain => 'ns.example.com', ip => '123.123.123.123' }, { domain => 'ns.example.com' }, ], emails => [ 'admin@example.com' ], domain => 'example.com', somefield1 => 'value', somefield2 => [ 'value', 'value2' ], ... }; # Your own parsers sub my_parser { my ( $text ) = @_; return { nameservers => [ { domain => 'ns.example.com', ip => '123.123.123.123' }, { domain => 'ns.example.com' }, ], emails => [ 'admin@example.com' ], somefield => 'value', somefield2 => [ 'value', 'value2' ], }; } $Net::Whois::Parser::PARSERS{'whois.example.com'} = &my_parser; $Net::Whois::Parser::PARSERS{'DEFAULT'} = &my_default_parser; # If you want to get all values of fields from all whois answers $Net::Whois::Parser::GET_ALL_VALUES = 1; # example # Net::Whois::Raw returns 2 answers $raw = [ { text => 'key: value1' }, { text => 'key: value2'}]; $data = parse_whois(raw => $raw); # If flag is off parser returns # { key => 'value2' }; # If flag is on parser returns # { key => [ 'value1', 'value2' ] }; # If you want to convert some field name to another: $Net::Whois::Parser::FIELD_NAME_CONV{'Domain name'} = 'domain'; # If you want to format some fields. # I think it is very useful for dates. $Net::Whois::Parser::HOOKS{'expiration_date'} = [ &format_date ]; DESCRIPTION
Net::Whois::Parser module provides Whois data parsing. You can add your own parsers for any whois server. FUNCTIONS
parse_whois(%args) Returns hash of whois data. Arguments: 'domain' - domain 'raw' - raw whois text 'server' - whois server 'which_whois' - option for Net::Whois::Raw::whois. Default value is QRY_ALL CHANGES
See file "Changes" in the distribution AUTHOR
Ivan Sokolov, "<ivsokolov@cpan.org>" COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2009 Ivan Sokolov This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-01-20 Net::Whois::Parser(3pm)