Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Router Project
Special Forums IP Networking Linux Router Project Post 2340 by Neo on Tuesday 8th of May 2001 04:51:05 PM
Old 05-08-2001
RIP is not necessary and does not provide any useful functionality in your topology, IMHO; and you would 'learn more' by building the correct static routing tables, setting up default routes, etc.

If you still want to experiment, would recommend you experiment with something more useful than RIP. A freeware version of OSPF would be more instructive because there are more metrics (5, as I recall) in OSPF, in RIP(v1) there are only hop counts.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Linux Router?

I am trying to set up a linux box as a router, but I am a little confused on how to do this. I am using Red Hat 9.0 on a machine that has 2 nic cards. Also, I am using a DSL pppoe connection. I have installed rp-pppoe and I am connected to the internet via the pseudo pppoe interface. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Solaris

building solaris-based enterprise router-firewall project

hi guys, its been a while since my last visit here, could not keep up the pace on this ever changing industry :) i'd just doing my home research under vmware to make a solaris-based router-firewall using zones - doing a lot of reading about zones & review solaris zone functionality. and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdout
4 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A new project was posted on The UNIX and Linux Forums project board.

A new project was posted on your project board. Project title: Bash Shell Tutoring Estimated Budget: $50/hr Start date: Immediately Required skills: Linux, Bash, Shell, UNIX I work as a datawarehouse designer and developer. Although I usually stick to the role of an analyst,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
ip6_setup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      ip6_setup(8)

NAME
ip6_setup - IPv6 configuration program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ip6_setup DESCRIPTION
The ip6_setup utility allows you to configure the IPv6 networking software on your system. To run ip6_setup, enter the following command and then answer the questions: # ip6_setup You must know your Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) address. If your network uses subnet routing, you must know the subnet mask for your network. The network manager should be able to provide you with the information that you need. After the ip6_setup command completes, the network services on the system can be restarted manually with the following command: # /usr/sbin/rcinet restart Before you restart the network services with the preceding command, warn the users that the network services on the system are being removed. File systems that were not mounted using the /etc/fstab file or the automount command must be unmounted with the unmount command. You must remount these file systems using the mount command after the network is started on your system. Alternatively, you can reboot the system with the following command: # /usr/sbin/shutdown -r now FILES
Specifies the host name file. Specifies the environment variables that define the network configuration on your system. Specifies the trusted hosts file. Specifies the network name file. Specifies Internet routing information. Specifies Internet routing information. SEE ALSO
Commands: mount(8), rcinet(8) Files: gateways(4), hosts(4), hosts.equiv(4), networks(4), routes(4). Network Administration ip6_setup(8)