Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stupid filename - can't delete it Post 23306 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 20th of June 2002 12:04:25 PM
Old 06-20-2002
also, using quotes will solve the problem most times. Except with the - character.

Another way is to use the \ this will disable special chars so that the shell doesn't interpret them as a special char.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't hate me because I'm stupid...

Hi all, I don't know the first thing about Unix, but I would like to learn. I would like to know what the difference between Linux and Unix is, and where I can obtain a copy of either. Thanks :o (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThisIsNewToMe
8 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I can't delete some files

I've been trying to delete a file with a space in it like this: Nothing 1.jpg I can't copy/delete it or anything like that.I've tried "Nothing_1.jpg" but that didn't work.Anyone know how to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISTURBED
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't delete the user from command line

Hi All, I try from command line to delete a user (Solaris8) and I get the following error: UX: userdel: ERROR: Cannot update system files - loggin can not be deleted. Any suggestions will be helpful. The root (/) file system has enough free space. Regards, Slava (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete filename with month -2

KSH - I've got a script that is generating a number of log files like this: y=`date +"%y"` m=`date +"%m"` $LOG_DIR/tuscprof_tbl_$y$m.log I only want to keep the current 2 months' worth of files (current month and prior month). So I'm trying to come up with a way to delete any that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dstinsman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete numbers in a filename

I have some files where numbers are part of like eg 1add1.txt 23sub41.txt etc I want to remove numbers from the filenames(whereever it may be). I used echo `ls *.txt | sed -e "s///"` But its removing first digits like 1add1.txt becomes add1.txt My intention is to make 1add1.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
3 Replies
VSTP(1) 						       BrlNet User's Manual							   VSTP(1)

NAME
vstpg, vstpp - VisioBraille file transferring SYNOPSIS
vstpg [-ifbnd] [-s socketport] [-k keyname] [-o configname] file ... DESCRIPTION
vstpg (resp. vstpp) gets (resp. puts) files from (resp. onto) a VisioBraille terminal. For communicating with the terminal, you must launch brltty with the BrlNet driver, and telling BrlNet to use the VisioBraille driver. Before putting on the terminal, file names are truncated to 8 characters without any extension. Before getting from terminal, leading path and trailing extensions are removed, but put back for local filename. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i ask for confirmation of transfer, for each file (on the terminal) -f don't ask for such a confirmation (default) -b if they exists, recursively rename the old files with an added .x suffix, just like logrotate does -n do not keep such backup file (default) -s socketport use socketport as the port number instead of default for connecting to BrlNet -k filename use filename as key path instead of default for reading BrlNet's authentication key -d use current directory rather than the download directory (see vbs_dir below) -o filename also read filename as config file CONFIG FILE
vstpg and vstpp read a configuration file $HOME/.vstprc which contains keywords or equalities, one per line (what follows a # is ignored). You can ask them to also read any other file thanks to the -o option. Here are keywords: backup make -b option the default nobackup make -f option the default and equalities: keyname = filename use this file instead of default, to find BrlNet's authentication key socketport = port use this port number, instead of default, to connect to BrlNet vbs_ext = .ext use .ext as an extension for downloaded files (.vis by default) this is overriden on command line if an extension is provided in the file name vbs_dir = path use path instead of current directory for putting files, except when using the -d option, or if the filename begins with '.' RETURNED VALUE
1 syntax error on command line 2 connection with BrlNet error 3 Unix file error 4 Protocol error 16 interrupted by user SHELL EXPANSIONS
Beware of special chars: * and . are often expanded by your shell, hence vstpp * will probably do what you want, putting every file exist- ing in the current directory onto the terminal, but vstpg * may not do what you want: it will only get every file which already exist in the current directory, skipping those you just created on your terminal ! If you want to get every file which exist in the terminal, you should use vstpg '*' or something similar (please read your shell manual). The same warning applies to other special chars, such as $, ~, &,... which should be protected by surrounding arguments by quotes (') or by using single backslashes () just before them (please read your shell manual). BUGS
The one we could find has been corrected :) AUTHOR
Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> and Sebastien Hinderer <sebastien.hinderer@ens-lyon.fr> BrlNet Jul 15, 2002 VSTP(1)