Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem executing C files in Linux Post 23084 by HAS on Monday 17th of June 2002 02:34:59 AM
Old 06-17-2002
Problem executing C files in Linux

Hi there

I compiled a simple .c file using the cc command, the file was
compiled successfully and executable file (a.out) was generated.

But When I executed the a.out file it gave me:
bash: a.out: command not found

Can anybody tell me what's the problem.

Note that I'm using:
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
Kernel 2.4.9-31 on an i686
And I tried the same code before on a UNIX system and it worked perfictly.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem in executing a file

All, I've a script that I'm trying to execute with crontab. But it was not working. Then when i checked executing the script manually, I've found a strange thing. the script executes only with sh <SCRIPTNAME> and not with ./<SCRIPTNAME> I'm using Red hat 7.3, and the error that i'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing nohup

I am trying to submit background jobs using the nohup command on a client system where my session is running under a "master shell" (BASH). If I try to nohup the actual job (ie: nohup MYJOB.BAT > MYJOB.LOG 2>&1 &) the command will fail with a return code of 126 and a "permission denied" message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christyw
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing a script

The script startserver.sh has permissions to execute. Still the nohup command returns error with 'No such file or directory' Any sugggestions: $ nohup ./startserver.sh & Error $ nohup: appending output to `nohup.out' nohup: cannot run command `./startserver.sh': No such file or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing script through at

Hey fellows, i've got a probkem while executing a command through a scheduled at-job; Somehow my script starts looping, when triggered throug at; It doesnt do so if started manually. Any ideas? #!/bin/sh # atrun uid=33 gid=33 # mail www-data 0 umask 22 cd /var/django/webripper/ripper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viktor4124
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem executing find file command in Linux

When trying to find a list of files with specific text in them using find . -type f -exec grep -l "DataStage Job 4263" {}\; I get error find: missing argument to 'exec' How can I correct this ? I'm on Linux Red Hat. Cheers PS I'm a DataStage programmer not a systems support... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackdaw_at_work
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem executing a script

Hi Friends, When I try to execute one of my script script1.shl, I am getting the error message as "/tmp/sh1871978.13: cannot create" . I could not find the specified sh* file in the /tmp directory and I also checked the disk space of /tmp and it is only 60% filled. Please help me on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
5 Replies

7. Programming

c executing shell problem

Hello im geting error here: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> using namespace std; int main (int argc, char *argv) { char user; string command; cin << user; command = printf ("grep '%s' /etc/shadow", user); system (command.c_str()); } return 0; } it should search shadow... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: velniaszs
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in executing For loop....

Hi frnds I trying to execute the following ksh, #!/bin/ksh file=$OBS_APP_PATH/config/com/uhg/obs/inbound/configs/ServiceFeeDetail.xml inputFileDir=$OBS_APP_PATH/config/com/uhg/obs/inbound/configs/ echo $file echo $cntWrd if then echo "Inside IF" for i in 'ls -t1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

having problem while executing the script

Hi i am getting stuck while executing the script in the below line .Please help me out if ;then Name=`grep -i $Size $FILE|awk '{print $(NF-1),$NF}' |head -1` else Name="$Nam" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyamishra
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux : getting error while executing mkfs

Hi All, i am getting below error while executing mkfs after creating a new partition in linux /dev/sda2 is apparently in use by the system ; will not make a filesystem here. Anyone having any idea , how to solve this problem thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)