Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell interpretation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell interpretation Post 22960 by PhilippeCrokaer on Thursday 13th of June 2002 12:53:40 PM
Old 06-13-2002
shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell:
$ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort
and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command.

I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement.

I would really appreciate if someone could explain to me how the shell interprets this command line.

Thanks for helping.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

2. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No Space Message Interpretation

Hi, I get the message NOTICE HTFS :No Space on dev hd (1/104), What does (1/104) mean? Is there any link, I can get material on understanding unix message log? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scomrade
4 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris versions interpretation

Hi What means Solaris 10 5/09 and Solaris 10 10/09, I mean the suffix 5/09 and 10/09 ? thx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negating shell interpretation

I'm writing a Korn script but am having trouble because the shell interprets the asterisk in this case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this so that grep takes in STDIN without the interpretation? line="30 09 * * 1-4 /home/user01/bin/start" echo "$line" | grep 'start' (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprucio
16 Replies

6. AIX

lspath output interpretation

On my VIo I see the following for my disks: $ lspath | grep hdisk6 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200600a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200700a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi2 200600a0b82193f8,4000000000000 Failed hdisk6 fscsi2 200700a0b82193f8,4000000000000 $ lspath |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interpretation of Ping behaviour

hi, working on Solaris 10. need your help on ping behaviour that I encountered. I ping from source to destination -bash-3.2# ping -s -t 128 10.10.10.200 PING 10.10.10.200: 56 data bytes <===== stops here for 2 minutues before getting reply back 64 bytes from 10.10.10.200:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostdog74
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpretation of UNIX command

what does the below do. echo * | xargs ls | wc –l echo * - Output a string comprising the name of each file in the working directory, with each name separated by a space. xargs ls - construct argument list command wc -l - it will pipe the output to the wc command, which will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houmingc
4 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)