Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su permission
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers su permission Post 22600 by RTM on Thursday 6th of June 2002 11:45:45 AM
Old 06-06-2002
Check the permissions on the file -
ls -l /sbin/su

If you can not do that, check the permissions on the directory
ls -ld /sbin

Check for read - execute on both for world or group (group would be fine as long as you belong to the group). If the file/directory do not have r-x for group or world, then you cannot excute the program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission help

Ok heres the situation I've been studying Solaris 8 for about 6 months now and some things click in my head but others don't. One of the things that don't click are file permissions. For example I login at work and I use the ls -l command to get a long listing of the files w/ the permissions.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission

Is it possible to set owner to a group? I need to have a group own a process, because there will be 3 diffrent persons that will start and stop this process. They can not use the same users cause och back logging. we need to know who end when a certian user start/stops processes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission?

What does the following permission indicate? -rwSr----- 1 oracle dba 1536 Nov 7 17:05 orapwRTMDB Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User permission

Hi all, I created testuser. by following command. /usr/sbin/adduser -n test -d /disk05/collections/GET/testdata/ and then set its password by following command. passwd testuser When I login to system by testuser, it enters everything is ok. The problem is how to set permission to this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Permission (I Think)

Pictures by worthamtx - Photobucket The URL is graphic view my present concern. Old partition working great sdb1 both appear on nautilus, both deliver icons to desk top. Based on the label handling of gparted results I tried following with success sudo mkdir /media/disk/data sudo chown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 77yrold
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission

Hello Whenever we want to oen any type of file by name, we must have execute perm. in each dir. mentioned in the name. I changed the dir permission using chmod to test the validity of this statement. but i still can open the file ------- any guides would be appreciable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really need help with permission changes

I dont understand why permission changes are being such a pain in the bum even after I manually changed them through properties....Anyone know what to do here because even thoguh in properties the permissions make me local admin over in the Cygwin its not working.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: okhawaja
5 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
access(2)							System Calls Manual							 access(2)

NAME
access - Determines the accessibility of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int access ( const char *path, int access_mode) ; STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: access(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the file pathname. When the path parameter refers to a symbolic link, the access() function returns information about the file pointed to by the symbolic link. Permission to access all components of the path parameter is determined by using a real user ID instead of an effective user ID, and a group access list (including a real group ID) instead of an effective group ID. Specifies the type of access. The bit pattern contained in the access_mode parameter is constructed by a logical OR of the following values: Checks read permission. Checks write permission. Checks execute (search) permission. Checks to see if the file exists. DESCRIPTION
The access() function checks for accessibility of the file specified by a pathname. Only access bits are checked. A directory may be indicated as writable by access(), but an attempt to open it for writing will fail (although files may be created there); a file's access bits may indicate that it is executable, but the execve() function can fail if the file does not contain the proper format. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the access() function returns value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the access() function fails, access to the file specified by the path parameter is denied and errno may be set to one of the following values: Permission bits of the file mode do not permit the requested access, or search permission is denied on a component of the path pre- fix. The owner of a file has permission checked with respect to the ``owner'' read, write, and execute mode bits, members of the file's group other than the owner have permission checked with respect to the ``group'' mode bits, and all others have permissions checked with respect to the ``other'' mode bits. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. The pathname contains a char- acter with the high-order bit set. An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. A component of a pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters, or an entire pathname exceeded NAME_MAX characters. The named file does not exist or is an empty string. A component of the path prefix is not a directory. Write access is requested for a file on a read-only file system. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: chmod(2), stat(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off access(2)