Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What user runs cron?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What user runs cron? Post 22062 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 27th of May 2002 11:30:25 PM
Old 05-28-2002
No, You would either use a .forward in that user's home directory to send all mail to someone else. OR use the /etc/aliases to setup a filter to send some of the mail from a user to another user or root user.

For /etc/aliases to work, you would setup a user with an alias in this file.

user1 :/path/to/script

Then on the same line you would put a script path to evaluate the mail and use that script to forward certain mail on to another user.

You will also have to put the script in a certain directory for it to work as well on Some systems like my company systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Old cron entry still runs, but shouldnt

Hello, I'm running OSF1 V4.0 alpha. We used to have a job running from the cron at 6am everyday. We have removed the job from the crontab file, but the job still runs at 6am everyday. The job was in the root's crontab file. I cant figure out why this job is still running after we removed it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

2. Solaris

SFTP errorcode 1 when run on cron but runs manually

I am trying to run a sript on cron to SFTP data to a company. Private and public keys are set up. When I run this manully it works fine, however it was failing when run on cron. I have narrowed down the problem - it fails at the code that says if the error code is 0 then continue . . . I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi.Ebbs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs fine, but not in a cron

Okay, I have the following script that runs fine from a command line as well as an executable .sh file. It just moves any file/folder with movie* in the name to a folder called _Movies. The issue I'm running into is when it's call from a cron. find /mnt/HD_a2/BT/complete -iname "movie.*" -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammyk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON shell script only runs correctly on command line

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm hoping that someone can solve this problem... To make things short: I have DD-wrt set up on a router. I'm trying to run a script in CRON that fetches the daily password from my database using SSH. CRON is set like so(in web interface): * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louieaw
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script runs good manually but not through Cron tab

Hello Every one, I have a shell script which is running fine manually, but its giving me hard time when running tru cron job. :wall:. Am using #!/usr/bin/ksh >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh Cron Job is as below, it execues but dosent do what i want it to do. 47 15 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren.chowdhary
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script only runs as a particular user

Hi guys So I've got this PERL script that for one reason or another I need to run as a user other than the user that created the script. When I su - to another user the script won't run and doesn't give me any output as to why. No permission denied or anything like that. I've chmod 777'd the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
5 Replies

7. AIX

Script runs in shell but not cron

We run some menu driven software that has the ability to batch menu paths and generate reports quickly. Normally you run a batch like: $ BATCH BATCHNAME The batch program then prompts you for the date you want the report run for. I got some help from some folks on IRC to do the following: BATCH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd results when my script runs from cron..

Hi folks, So I wrote a script to run "top", "awk" out values fro the "top" and send the results to a data file. I then set it to run in cron every 15 minutes. Now I'm noticing that the script, and it's sub-commands are not always cleanly finishing and, in my investigations, I am also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in command-line fine but times out in CRON?

Hi, I have a script that seems to run to completion when in the command-line, but when it is run using the cron, it seems to time out. They both start and run fine, but on the CRON it stops prematurely. The script hits an API every few seconds and grabs data. Does anyone have any idea on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies
acctdisk(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       acctdisk(8)

NAME
acctdisk, acctdusg - Perform disk-usage accounting SYNOPSIS
acctdisk acctdusg [-u file] [-p file] FLAGS
Searches file as the alternate file for login names and numbers, instead of searching /etc/passwd. Writes records of file names for which it does not charge into file. DESCRIPTION
Normally the acctdisk and acctdusg commands are called from the dodisk shell procedure to do disk-usage accounting. The dodisk shell proce- dure is invoked when the cron daemon executes commands in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. In the usual case, the output of the diskusg command is the redirected input to the acctdisk command. When a more thorough, but slower, version of disk accounting is needed, specify the -o flag with the dodisk command. This is not normally done in the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. When the -o flag is used, the acctdusg command replaces the diskusg command. acctdisk Normally, the acctdisk command reads a temporary output file produced by the diskusg or the acctdusg command from standard input, converts each record into a total disk-accounting record, and writes it to standard output. These records are merged with other accounting records with the acctmerg command to produce a daily accounting report. acctdusg The acctdusg command is called when the -o flag is used with the dodisk command. This produces a more thorough, but slower, version of disk-accounting records. Otherwise, the dodisk shell procedure invokes the diskusg command. The acctdusg command reads a list of files from standard input (usually piped from a find / -print command), computes the number of disk blocks (including indirect blocks) allocated to each file divided by the number of hard links then writes an individual record for each user to standard output. To find the user who is charged for the file, compare each file pathname with the login directories of the users. The user who has the longest pathname component match is charged for the file. Therefore, the relevant information for charging users is not ownership of a file but the directory where it is stored. The acctdusg command searches the /etc/passwd file, or the alternate password file specified with the -p flag, for login names, numbers and login directories. Each output record has the following format: uid login #blocks EXAMPLES
To start normal disk-accounting procedures, add a line similar to the following to the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file: 0 2 * * 4 /usr/sbin/acct/dodisk The foregoing example is a typical, periodically invoked command that the cron daemon reads and executes. The period is expressed by a 6-field entry having the format: mm hh daymon monyr wkday cmd. For any field requiring digits, numbers are integers. These six fields have the following significance: Purpose Time variable that has the value 0 through 59 expressing minutes past the hour. Time variable for the hour of the day in 24-hour clock notation. Time variable for the day of the month. Time variable for month of the year. Time variable for the day or days of the week, where 0 is Sunday and inclusive days are separated with a hyphen (-). Command the cron daemon must execute. Whenever you write any of the time variables described in the foregoing table, an unspecified value must be noted with an * (aster- isk) to define an empty field. In the foregoing example, the dodisk shell procedure runs at 02:00 hours (2) every Thursday (4). The dodisk shell procedure calls the acctdusg command to redirect its input to a temporary file and then calls the acctdisk shell procedure to redirect disk-usage records from the temporary file as input to a /var/adm/acct/nite/[filename] file as output. The file stored in the /var/adm/acct/nite subdirectory is a permanent binary record of disk usage for the specified period. To initiate a slower, more thorough disk-accounting procedure, add a line similar to the following to the /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/[filename] file. 0 2 * * 0-4 /usr/sbin/acct/dodisk -o The dodisk shell procedure calls the acctdusg command and the acctdisk command to write disk-usage records to the /var/adm/acct/nite/[filename] file just as in the previous example. The dodisk procedure runs at 2 a.m. every day (0-6) including Sunday. FILES
Specifies the command path. Specifies the command path. User database file. The active login/logout database file. Accounting header files that define formats for writing accounting files. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: acct(8), acctmerg(8), cron(8), diskusg(8), dodisk(8), runacct(8) Functions: acct(2) delim off acctdisk(8)