Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help for newbie writing shell scripts Post 2196 by richgi on Friday 27th of April 2001 06:49:01 AM
Old 04-27-2001
sorry about being unclear.

I have tracked the problem down to this:

in a shell script, what command will create an empty file?

how can I then test if this file exists and execute a statement conditionally?
i.e
if fileexists
statement

also additional questions:

how can I interrupt a background process without resorting to the process table and kill command?

how can I ensure the (infinitely running) shell script exits when I logout, for e.g if I had the script running as
a background process with output redirected to file, it will continue to run, I need to stop this from happening, and ensure that the same code that handles the interrupt is executed whenever I logout.

thanks very much for any help.

Rich

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is writing shell scripts different than...

I am currently taking a linux shell scripting class and also a intro to programming class using QBASIC. Will this interfere with how i learn each one? Are they similar in some ways? I already took a unix course based on the commands and it was easy, but now i have to create programs. Also, how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
1 Replies

2. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

3. AIX

Examples of writing shell scripts for AIX, it's urgent

Please help me 1. Please give me the few examples of shell scripts written for AIX 2.I have scripts written on Unix, does that work for AIX, if not what are the changes to be carried out to run the scripts on AIX.... Please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
4 Replies

4. Programming

Basic questions on writing a Unix Service (newbie help!)

Hi there. I've got 12 years experience writing C++ on Windows, and 3 years C# on Windows. Now my boss wants me to write a C++ app to run on Unix as a multithreaded 'service' (i.e. a program that runs with no user intervention). Some quick questions for The Experts: * Whats the best C++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutland Gizz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell scripts of commands

can anyone help me in writing a shell script to visualize how simple commands work and on what logic. For Eg: ls command how it lists out all the files and directories, need to write a simple script based on the commands source code.:D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
0 Replies

6. Web Development

Problems writing app that will communicate with gateway(newbie,last bit of project)

Hi all, Im writing an app that will contact a specified gateway and retrieve info onto our server and perform manipulations on it then return the result back to the gateway for further operations... But I'm a newbie and dont have much of an experience in network programming... Would like to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question-do I pause and exec my shell scripts?

Hi there, I'm writing a script to restore 3 directories and 3 mysql db's every 24 hours. While writing the script, I came across the thought... Do I need to pause between executions? Example: msql restore1.sql rm -Rf path1/* cp -Rf path1/* /restore1 chmod 777 /folder1/cache1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semiotics101
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie: writing ksh shell problem

my default profile is using ksh, I tried to write a simple scripts and I had issues, below is my scripts: $ more if_num.ksh USAGE="usage: if_num.ksh" print -n "Enter two numbers: " read x y if ((x=y)) then print "You entered the same number twice." when I tried to executed the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthew00
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files

Experts, I am newbie in shell scripting. I want to write Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files. I have installed cygwin at c:\cygwin and i am trying to crate the sh file using vi editor. i am not able to understand how to use linux/unix convention for the code. following is my... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajuchacha007
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asynchronous shell scripts question - newbie

Hi All, I am fairly new to UNIX and very new to this forum too. This is my first post here. Here is my scenario - I have 3 scripts script1, script2 and script3. I want to start script1 and script2 asynchronously. Upon completion of both scripts script1 and script2, i want to fire the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taskeen21
4 Replies
sv(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     sv(8)

NAME
sv - control and manage services monitored by runsv(8) SYNOPSIS
sv [-v] [-w sec] command services /etc/init.d/service [-w sec] command DESCRIPTION
The sv program reports the current status and controls the state of services monitored by the runsv(8) supervisor. services consists of one or more arguments, each argument naming a directory service used by runsv(8). If service doesn't start with a dot or slash and doesn't end with a slash, it is searched in the default services directory /etc/service/, otherwise relative to the current directory. command is one of up, down, status, once, pause, cont, hup, alarm, interrupt, 1, 2, term, kill, or exit, or start, stop, restart, shutdown, force-stop, force-reload, force-restart, force-shutdown. The sv program can be sym-linked to /etc/init.d/ to provide an LSB init script interface. The service to be controlled then is specified by the base name of the ``init script''. COMMANDS
status Report the current status of the service, and the appendant log service if available, to standard output. up If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. down If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. once If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. pause cont hup alarm interrupt quit 1 2 term kill If the service is running, send it the STOP, CONT, HUP, ALRM, INT, QUIT, USR1, USR2, TERM, or KILL signal respectively. exit If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv(8) exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, send the TERM signal to the log service. If the log service is down, runsv(8) exits. This command is ignored if it is given to an appendant log service. sv actually looks only at the first character of these commands. Commands compatible to LSB init script actions status Same as status. start Same as up, but wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available; it's considered to be avail- able if ./check exits with 0. stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status or timeout. reload Same as hup, and additionally report the status afterwards. restart Send the commands term, cont, and up to the service, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and avail- able again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status or timeout. force-stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-reload Send the service the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-restart Send the service the term, cont and up commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. force-shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status, and on timeout send the ser- vice the kill command. try-restart if the service is running, send it the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. Additional Commands check Check for the service to be in the state that's been requested. Wait up to 7 seconds for the service to reach the requested state, then report the status or timeout. If the requested state of the service is up, and the script ./check exists in the service direc- tory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and running; it's considered to be up if ./check exits with 0. OPTIONS
-v If the command is up, down, term, once, cont, or exit, then wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. -w sec Override the default timeout of 7 seconds with sec seconds. This option implies -v. ENVIRONMENT
SVDIR The environment variable $SVDIR overrides the default services directory /etc/service/. SVWAIT The environment variable $SVWAIT overrides the default 7 seconds to wait for a command to take effect. It is overridden by the -w option. EXIT CODES
sv exits 0, if the command was successfully sent to all services, and, if it was told to wait, the command has taken effect to all ser- vices. For each service that caused an error (e.g. the directory is not controlled by a runsv(8) process, or sv timed out while waiting), sv increases the exit code by one and exits non zero. The maximum is 99. sv exits 100 on error. If sv is called with a base name other than sv: it exits 1 on timeout or trouble sending the command; if the command is status, it exits 3 if the service is down, and 4 if the status is unknown; it exits 2 on wrong usage, and 151 on error. SEE ALSO
runsv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), runit(8), runit-init(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> sv(8)