Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell or admin fires the db
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell or admin fires the db Post 2190 by Neo on Thursday 26th of April 2001 11:38:20 AM
Old 04-26-2001
Most servers are configured so the services are initiated and started when the system boots. This happens in the boot scripts. These boot scripts excute in a logical sequence insuring that the operating environment is setup properly. For example, check local filesystems and the mount them; start networking services; mount networked filesystems; start database services; start network services.

For example, many people on the net use apache with PHP and MySQL. Because they they run applications with Apache/PHP that use MySQL as the database backend (like this site) you would start MySQL before Apache. All of this occurs in the boot resource directory (/etc/rc.d/ on my systems, every major flavor of UNIX has a different way to do this) but the idea is the same.

Sorry, I would like to add more, but have to run to a meeting.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH only fires for first server

I have a shell script I have been working on that reads a dat file which contains a list of server name. It takes each server and attempts to ssh to it and then runs a command. The probelm is that its only doing the ssh to the first server in the list. Here is the code... exec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris admin

Hey Friends, Actullay we have to create 200 users in my server as early as possible . I m not that much aware abt script writing. thier is any alternative ways for creation of users ? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
4 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to say goodbye to a fellow admin via Shell script.?

I have a good friend leaving my place of employment. He's an old greybeard. His first job was sorting punch cards. I'm serious. I'm looking for suggestions on a short shell script to write in his card to say good bye. Please be creative and obfusticating! have fun with it. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies
shares-admin(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   shares-admin(1)

NAME
shares-admin - Shared Folders Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
shares-admin [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
shares-admin is part of the GNOME system tools, a set of tools to easily access and manage system configuration. shares-admin allows you to share folders to other computers in your network or in the internet. OPTIONS
shares-admin accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
shares-admin was written by Carlos Garnacho Parro <garnacho@tuxerver.net> and others. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
services-admin(1), network-admin(1), time-admin(1), users-admin(1), gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-05-08 shares-admin(1)