Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inetd and security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inetd and security Post 21867 by rellips on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 06:52:57 PM
Old 05-23-2002
chargen sends a stream of alphanumeric chars to the app that accesses the port for the purpose of testing. -- You don't need it in most cases.

Test with telnet <hostname> chargen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux file corresponding to HP-UX inetd.conf

Hi!!, I have been working on a HP UX box all these days.. For adding a user defined service, I used to put an entry for this service corresponing to a port number in /etc/services. These services were then defined in inetd.conf. Now I have moved to Mandrake linux. I can find a file named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

inetd process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All , I have a client an server among which i want to make the server an inetd process. I have enries in etc/services and etc/inetd.conf The enries looks like below etc/services servername 5551/tcp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

VNC using inetd on HPUX

To anyone who can help. I am trying to get VNC running using the inetd capability and I am having problems. I have VNC running fine when I manually log into the server through FTP or SSH and start it and then start the viewer on my PC. I have tried a few things I have found on different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkdeviant
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

inetd.conf in linux

I need to put the following line in inetd.conf: stats stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/mrtgsysinfo mrtgsysinfo but my version of linux don't seem to allow that, ie there is no inetd.conf. How do i set that up in linux (red hat enterprise 3). (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
15 Replies

6. IP Networking

Error inetd

Hi , I need help, today I restarted the server, when the machine was up, it had been to writte in the file osmlog that : "inetd: talk/udp: bind: Address already in use" This message appears in ten minutes every time. Why ? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot edit inetd.conf???

I'm trying to edit the inetd.conf but for some reason when I vi into it, it says "Read Only" even though I am root and the perms are 777?!? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

too many inetd running

hi, is it ok for more than one inetd daemon running at a time? if not okay, possible to kill the rest and make only one daemon running? i understand that inetd is a process that enables tcp connections from external sources...kindly advise more on inetd...thanks alot..Happy New Year!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Inetd not running on zone

inet not running on the zone , below is the error we see on svc log Importing 100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml ...Done inetconv: Error reading from repository inetconv: Notice: Service manifest for 100235/1 already generated as /var/svc/manifest/network/rpc/100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml, skipped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies
SERVICES(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       SERVICES(5)

NAME
services - Internet network services list DESCRIPTION
services is a plain ASCII file providing a mapping between human-friendly textual names for internet services, and their underlying assigned port numbers and protocol types. Every networking program should look into this file to get the port number (and protocol) for its service. The C library routines getservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), setservent(3), and endservent(3) support querying this file from programs. Port numbers are assigned by the IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority), and their current policy is to assign both TCP and UDP proto- cols when assigning a port number. Therefore, most entries will have two entries, even for TCP-only services. Port numbers below 1024 (so-called "low numbered" ports) can only be bound to by root (see bind(2), tcp(7), and udp(7)). This is so clients connecting to low numbered ports can trust that the service running on the port is the standard implementation, and not a rogue service run by a user of the machine. Well-known port numbers specified by the IANA are normally located in this root-only space. The presence of an entry for a service in the services file does not necessarily mean that the service is currently running on the machine. See inetd.conf(5) for the configuration of Internet services offered. Note that not all networking services are started by inetd(8), and so won't appear in inetd.conf(5). In particular, news (NNTP) and mail (SMTP) servers are often initialized from the system boot scripts. The location of the services file is defined by _PATH_SERVICES in <netdb.h>. This is usually set to /etc/services. Each line describes one service, and is of the form: service-name port/protocol [aliases ...] where: service-name is the friendly name the service is known by and looked up under. It is case sensitive. Often, the client program is named after the service-name. port is the port number (in decimal) to use for this service. protocol is the type of protocol to be used. This field should match an entry in the protocols(5) file. Typical values include tcp and udp. aliases is an optional space or tab separated list of other names for this service. Again, the names are case sensitive. Either spaces or tabs may be used to separate the fields. Comments are started by the hash sign (#) and continue until the end of the line. Blank lines are skipped. The service-name should begin in the first column of the file, since leading spaces are not stripped. service-names can be any printable characters excluding space and tab. However, a conservative choice of characters should be used to minimize compatibility problems. E.g., a-z, 0-9, and hyphen (-) would seem a sensible choice. Lines not matching this format should not be present in the file. (Currently, they are silently skipped by getservent(3), getservby- name(3), and getservbyport(3). However, this behavior should not be relied on.) This file might be distributed over a network using a network-wide naming service like Yellow Pages/NIS or BIND/Hesiod. A sample services file might look like this: netstat 15/tcp qotd 17/tcp quote msp 18/tcp # message send protocol msp 18/udp # message send protocol chargen 19/tcp ttytst source chargen 19/udp ttytst source ftp 21/tcp # 22 - unassigned telnet 23/tcp FILES
/etc/services The Internet network services list <netdb.h> Definition of _PATH_SERVICES SEE ALSO
listen(2), endservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), getservent(3), setservent(3), inetd.conf(5), protocols(5), inetd(8) Assigned Numbers RFC, most recently RFC 1700, (AKA STD0002). COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-05-22 SERVICES(5)