Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inetd and security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inetd and security Post 21867 by rellips on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 06:52:57 PM
Old 05-23-2002
chargen sends a stream of alphanumeric chars to the app that accesses the port for the purpose of testing. -- You don't need it in most cases.

Test with telnet <hostname> chargen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux file corresponding to HP-UX inetd.conf

Hi!!, I have been working on a HP UX box all these days.. For adding a user defined service, I used to put an entry for this service corresponing to a port number in /etc/services. These services were then defined in inetd.conf. Now I have moved to Mandrake linux. I can find a file named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

inetd process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All , I have a client an server among which i want to make the server an inetd process. I have enries in etc/services and etc/inetd.conf The enries looks like below etc/services servername 5551/tcp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

VNC using inetd on HPUX

To anyone who can help. I am trying to get VNC running using the inetd capability and I am having problems. I have VNC running fine when I manually log into the server through FTP or SSH and start it and then start the viewer on my PC. I have tried a few things I have found on different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkdeviant
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

inetd.conf in linux

I need to put the following line in inetd.conf: stats stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/mrtgsysinfo mrtgsysinfo but my version of linux don't seem to allow that, ie there is no inetd.conf. How do i set that up in linux (red hat enterprise 3). (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
15 Replies

6. IP Networking

Error inetd

Hi , I need help, today I restarted the server, when the machine was up, it had been to writte in the file osmlog that : "inetd: talk/udp: bind: Address already in use" This message appears in ten minutes every time. Why ? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot edit inetd.conf???

I'm trying to edit the inetd.conf but for some reason when I vi into it, it says "Read Only" even though I am root and the perms are 777?!? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

too many inetd running

hi, is it ok for more than one inetd daemon running at a time? if not okay, possible to kill the rest and make only one daemon running? i understand that inetd is a process that enables tcp connections from external sources...kindly advise more on inetd...thanks alot..Happy New Year!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Inetd not running on zone

inet not running on the zone , below is the error we see on svc log Importing 100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml ...Done inetconv: Error reading from repository inetconv: Notice: Service manifest for 100235/1 already generated as /var/svc/manifest/network/rpc/100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml, skipped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies
MKFS.BFS(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       MKFS.BFS(8)

NAME
mkfs.bfs - make an SCO bfs filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.bfs [-N nr-of-inodes] [-V volume-name] [-F fsname] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.bfs creates an SCO bfs file-system on a block device (usually a disk partition or a file accessed via the loop device). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. If nothing is specified, the entire partition will be used. OPTIONS
-N Specify the desired number of inodes (at most 512). If nothing is specified some default number in the range 48-512 is picked depending on the size of the partition. -V volume-label Specify the volume label. I have no idea if/where this is used. -F fsname Specify the fsname. I have no idea if/where this is used. -v Be verbose. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.bfs is 0 when all went well, and 1 when something went wrong. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8). AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.bfs command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Util-linux 2.9x 12 Sept 1999 MKFS.BFS(8)