Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCSI Tape Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SCSI Tape Error Post 21814 by Andre on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 06:23:01 AM
Old 05-23-2002
Question SCSI Tape Error

When I am trying to read any tape I getthe following message on my screen:
"stp: Error on SCSI tape=0 (ha=0 id=6 lun=0)"

Does anybody know how to solve this problem and what the message means.

I already have rebooted the server and cleaned the heads of the tape unit.

HELP!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scsi Tape Message?????

I do daily backups running a shell script. I use 6 different tapes for each day (monday through saturday). First of all I insert the tape then run the script and when it finished I eject the tape. Until today I was doing this with no problem, but now I'm getting this message constantly (even... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scsi tape drive.

I'm running SCO OS 505 on a Compaq proliant 1600, and my tape drive will just not work. It was working properly and whent to Sh?ts when I tried to get the cd rom working. I have uninstalled any configured tape drive and rebooted and then configured a tape drive and rebooted still nothing. I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikkin
4 Replies

3. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

4. HP-UX

Modules Required For SCSI Tape?

I've got an HP9000 server and I'm trying to hook up a tape drive to it. When I go into "SAM-->Peripheral Devices-->Tape Drives", the tape isn't listed. I then choose to "ADD" a drive, and I get the following error. I know I need to install the "stape" module, but for some reason even that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumdude
2 Replies

5. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

6. SCO

SCSI tape on Openserver 5.0.6

Running into an interesting problem here: I can add the tape with "mkdev tape" the system appears to see it wwith "hwconfig -hc" however a 'tape status /dev/rStp0' says 'no device found', checked the configuration files in 'etc' all appear to be correct. Any suggestion appreciated Jim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimj1369
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Restoring dump from tape to SCSI disk

Hi Gurus, I need help. Mine is an Ultra 10 machine running on solaris 7. Problem with solaris 7 is, it can no longer recognize IDE disks greater that 10GB. My workaround is ro use an external SCSI disk since it is recognizable with solaris 7. I backup my filesystems (residing on the IDE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domesat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with SCSI card and tape drive

Currenty running SCO Openserver 6 at a Dell PowerEdge T300. I recently installed a driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (adpu320). When I connect a tape drive to it and re-start the system,it freezes and displays the following message: "WARNING: adpu320: Command timed out (ha= 4)" and the system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

9. Hardware

Help with scsi tape drive problem

I've had a scsi hard drive, scsi tape drive, and cd rom working off an adaptec 29160 controller. Everything worked great until a few days ago. I begin getting tar format errors (running sco 5.0.6) on the tape drive and occasionally the entire system would hang up while trying to access data on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: powwm
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Adding Legacy SCSI tape to Ent Rel 6 64

I have Ent Rel 6 64 bit running in a virtualized environment. I wish to add a Ultium 3 U320 Scsi tape drive. I add an LSI LSI20320IE SCSI controller to the virtual server. The controller shows under the machine settings, but the OS doesn't see a tape drive. /proc/scsi/scsi shows only Virtual CDRom... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adone36
0 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - Magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
mt [-f tape_device] command [count] The mt program gives commands to a magnetic tape drive. OPTIONS
This option specifies the tape device to be manipulated. This option specifies the number of times that the operation is to be repeated. DESCRIPTION
If you do not specify a tape name with the -f option, the TAPE environment variable is used; if TAPE does not exist, mt uses the /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 device. Note that tape_device must refer to a raw (not block) tape device. By default, mt performs the requested operation once. You can perform operations more than once using the count option. The following commands are available: Backspaces count files. Backspaces count records. Writes count End-of-File marks at the current position on the tape. Forward spaces count files. Forward spaces count records. This option prepares a SCSI tape for loading into the device. Not all SCSI tape drives support this command. Rewinds the tape and places the tape unit offline (count is ignored). Bring a SCSI tape to the ready state if a tape is in the tape path. Currently, this command is only supported in the SCSI/CAM tape driver. Not all SCSI tape drives support this functionality. Rewinds the tape (count is ignored). Sets the tape at the specified read position coordi- nates. The data obtained when using the rdpos option can be used as an argument to the seek or seekds commands. Use the following options with the rdpos command: The read position short format. This option requires a tape coordinate argument in the following syntax: # mt -f /dev/ntape/tape1 rdpos s READ POSITION short format First block: 3 (0x3) Last block: 0 (0x0) Number of blocks: 0 (0x0) Number of bytes: 0 (0x0) The preceding example provides the following information: The block address associated with the current logical position. The block address associated with the next block to be transferred from the buffer to the medium. The number of data blocks that have not been written to the medium. The number of data bytes that have not been written to the medium. In addition to the information provided by the preceding example, the rdpos s option may display additional messages. Availability of these additional messages depends on the capabilities of the tape drive device. You will only see such error messages if the tape device is configured to detect the error state and to display the appropriate message: An error has occurred and the tape posi- tion cannot be returned. An error has occurred as the device is incapable of reporting block locations. Number of bytes in the buffer field does not represent the actual number of bytes in the buffer. Number of blocks in the buffer field does not represent the actual number of blocks in the buffer. The logical unit is positioned between early-warning and the end of media (EOM). The logical unit is at the beginning of media (BOM). The read position long format. This option requires an argument in the following syntax: # mt -f /dev/ntape/tape1 rdpos l READ POSITION long format File number: 0 (0x0) Block number: 3 (0x3) The following information is returned: The number of file marks between BOM and current logical position. The number of logical blocks between BOM and the current logical position. In addition to the information provided by the preceding example, the rdpos l option may display additional messages. Availability of these additional messages depends on the capabilities of the tape drive device. You will only see such error messages if the tape device is configured to detect the error state and to display the appropriate message: An error has occurred as the device is incapable of reporting block locations. File Number and Set Number are unknown The logical unit is positioned between early-warning and the end of media (EOM). The logical unit is at the beginning of media (BOM). The read position short format, with device-spe- cific addresses. This option only works on certain devices and requires a tape coordinate argument as for the s option. The output will be the same format as for the s option, although the device-specific data bytes may differ if the device supports its own format. Not all devices support their own format. If the d option is not supported by the device, the following error mes- sage will be displayed: MTIOCRDPOS (dev_specific): I/O error Space to end of recorded data. Currently, this command is only supported in the SCSI/CAM tape driver. Not all SCSI tape drives sup- port this functionality. Positions a tape at the specified coordinates. The output of the rdpos command may be used as an argument to this command. You can specify the value from the First block field when using the s option. Positions a tape at the specified coordinates. You can use the output from the rdpos command as an argument, and the syntax is as for the seek command. Unlike the general seek command, the seekds command is device-specific. Some tape devices provide a device-specific format for accessing the media position, which differs from the SCSI logical block format defined by the SCSI standard. The device-specific format may provide a faster way of seeking to a particular position on the tape. Prints status information about the tape unit. Prepares a SCSI tape for removal from the device. Not all SCSI tape drives support this functionality. Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need to be specified. EXIT STATUS
The mt command returns the following exit status: Success. Command was unrecognized. Operation failed. FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface with no rewind when closed. Raw magnetic tape interface with rewind when closed. SEE ALSO
Commands: dd(1) Functions: ioctl(2) mt(1)