Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re: Long command lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Re: Long command lines Post 21762 by Perderabo on Wednesday 22nd of May 2002 11:33:19 AM
Old 05-22-2002
But few versions of find have that -level 0 option.

I would do:
cd somedir
ls | grep \\.F\$ | wc -l
to get a count of the *.F files. Then just compare that number to zero.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing lines in a too long file

HI, i need to remove about a 3000000 lines in a "too long file", without using vi editor. Im using hp-ux 11.0. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goodfella
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lines too long error

Hi Gurus, I have a big file having around 5000 lines. What I need to do is as below. $cat myfile aaaa bbbb ccc ddd ... I want the output to be as below: 'aaaa,'bbbb','cccc'.... For this I have written something like this code: vi sac.txt |nawk '{printf NR","}'>ss code: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting long string into several lines?

I'm using a barcode scanner to grab ISBNs. Unfortunately, short of hitting "enter" each time (not easy while on a ladder), there's no good way to split it up. So I scanned it into a series of long lines in notepad. Now, I need to split each line into 12-number lines. instead of:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbourgon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long lines in test.awk

I have a awk script called test.awk which I run using awk -f test.awk file1.txt > file2.txt I am doing a long print statement and want to put it in separate lines Do I need a '/' at the end or not????? Should it be like this print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull specific lines from long file based on formula

For people who want to pull a number of lines from a long file using a specific formula n (number of iterations in a loop) a (offset number) b (stretch factor) example with n {1..100} for (( n=1; n<101; n++ )); do awk -v n=$n 'NR==a+(b*n)' a=0 b=1 inputfile >>outputfile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgruenwald
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long line displayed as multiple lines in Outlook. Please help!

When a file generated by a shell script is sent as a mail (not an attachment), in MS Outlook, single lines of the file are displayed as two/three lines (as the lines are long). Is there a way to make each line to be displayed in 'single line with scroll bar' to enable viewing of the long line? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long line displayed as multiple lines in Outlook. Please help!

When a file generated by a shell script is sent as a mail (not as an attachment), in MS Outlook, single lines of the file are displayed as two/three lines (as the lines are long). Is there a way to make each line to be displayed in 'single line with scroll bar' to enable viewing of the long line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash does not wrap long lines correctly

Ksh is my default shell, but I want use the bash shell since its convenient to me. When I type a long command line in a terminal, it does not wrap to the next line when I reach the end of the line and it wraps onto the same line, overwriting my prompt and the rest of what I typed. $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed and awk for long lines

Hi, I'm trying make a variable length file to a fixed length of 4000. I'm to pad spaces on the right of a record if length is less than 4000 to make the record length 4000. I'm trying to use the below commands awk '{printf "%-4000s\n", $0}' inputfile.dat > outputfile.dat sed -e :a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxusr
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break one long string into multiple fixed length lines

This is actually a KSH under Unix System Services (Z/OS), but hoping I can get a standard AIX/KSH solution to work... I have a very large, single line file in Windows, that we download via FTP, with the "SITE WRAP" option, into a Z/OS file with an LRECL of 200. This essentially breaks the single... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbawuzhere
4 Replies
CHDIST(1)																 CHDIST(1)

NAME
chdist - script to easily play with several distributions SYNOPSIS
chdist [options] [command] [command parameters] DESCRIPTION
chdist is a rewrite of what used to be known as 'MultiDistroTools' (or mdt). Its use is to create 'APT trees' for several distributions, making it easy to query the status of packages in other distribution without using chroots, for instance. OPTIONS
-h, --help Provide a usage message. -d, --data-dir DIR Choose data directory (default: $HOME/.chdist/). -a, --arch ARCH Choose architecture (default: `dpkg --print-architecture`). --version Display version information. COMMANDS
create DIST [URL RELEASE SECTIONS] Prepare a new tree named DIST apt-get DIST <update|source|...> Run apt-get inside DIST apt-cache DIST <show|showsrc|...> Run apt-cache inside DIST apt-rdepends DIST [...] Run apt-rdepends inside DIST src2bin DIST SRCPKG List binary packages for SRCPKG in DIST bin2src DIST BINPKG List source package for BINPKG in DIST compare-packages DIST1 DIST2 [DIST3, ...] compare-bin-packages DIST1 DIST2 [DIST3, ...] List versions of packages in several DISTributions compare-versions DIST1 DIST2 compare-bin-versions DIST1 DIST2 Same as compare-packages/compare-bin-packages, but also runs dpkg --compare-versions and display where the package is newer. compare-src-bin-packages DIST Compare sources and binaries for DIST compare-src-bin-versions DIST Same as compare-src-bin-packages, but also run dpkg --compare-versions and display where the package is newer grep-dctrl-packages DIST [...] Run grep-dctrl on *_Packages inside DIST grep-dctrl-sources DIST [...] Run grep-dctrl on *_Sources inside DIST list List available DISTs COPYRIGHT
This program is copyright 2007 by Lucas Nussbaum and Luk Claes. This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. It is licensed under the terms of the GPL, either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Debian Utilities 2013-12-23 CHDIST(1)