Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How do I clone Solaris 7 disk Post 21621 by thehoghunter on Monday 20th of May 2002 02:45:29 PM
Old 05-20-2002
In Solaris it's booting into single user mode - to do it and get a dump of the file systems, boot cdrom -s from the okay prompt.
Search the forums for booting single user for more info - that question has been answered many times.
thehoghunter

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Clone disk for Sun Blade 2000

Hai ......... my name Rio, I want to clone my harddisk at Sun Balade 2000 server with Solaris 8 OS, my question is : a. what kind method for making backup or clonning disk ? b. what method more easier , quick but still reliable ? c. how to proceed it ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rioria
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

3. SCO

Clone hard disk using Ghost

Hi. We tried cloning a SCO Unix hard disk using Norton Ghost. However, the new cloned hard disk encounter booting problem. What possibly go wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mizan
1 Replies

4. SCO

Hard disk clone of OpenServer 5.0.0 didn't work, why?

Continuing saga of working on making a retail store more robust by creating a backup clone of the main server, a 1995 era :eek: PC running SCO OpenServer 5.0.0b and a discontinued Point of Sales (POS) software system. I have a PC of the same make and model. The CPU runs faster and it has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt10
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Mounting a disk clone

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but since i use ubuntu for data recovery, I figured this is the best place. So, a friend passed me a 250G Western Digital hard disk the other day and said that his client needs to get her pictures off it. the problem: windows says it wants to reformat the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: old noob
13 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Need to Clone Solaris OS to another disk

Hi, I am trying to clone the hard disk image of Solaris OS on one disk to another disk. After some googling I found that there is a command "dd" to achieve this. However there is a condition to use the dd command, that the disk geometry of both the disks (source and target disks) should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajujayanthy
5 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)