Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach command ?!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers foreach command ?! Post 21610 by Bab00shka on Monday 20th of May 2002 09:01:11 AM
Old 05-20-2002
Hi Abdulkarim

I see, I'm using HP-UX 11.00 with a Korn Shell. I'm not sure how Sun 5.6 differs. What shell are you using?

I must admit I have not heard of the 'foreach' statement. Are you doing a shell script or using a programming language?

'fi' is the end of the 'if' statement. If statement syntax is as follows:

if <test>
then
<list of commants>
fi

I have redirected output to /dev/null because I don't want the result of the echo statement to appear on the screen. I just want to know the return value of the statement. If you don't already know, anything that goes to /dev/null 'disappears'. Its a bit like a waste bin.

Cheers
Helen

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach/grep help!

#!/bin/bash foreach x (67402996 67402998) { grep -a x FINAL2006.dat >> MISSING_RECORDS.dat } I'm trying to pass a list to the variable x, and then grep for that string in FINAL2006.dat... Final2006.dat is in the same folder as my .sh file. I call this with a .cmd file... At any rate,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimWork
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach question

OK, so I am extremely rusty and am just getting back to Unix after 9 years. I'm stuck on something easy. I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting. why do the following code #!/bin/tcsh setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/ foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04) echo $mix cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ end print(copy) only the first mix? % ./copyfromcbc.sh p00p00 wasn't it supposed to run through all words... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prtc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach in csh

I have a foreach loop in a csh script and I noticed that it tries to find the files with the pattern *$searchpt* in the file name. I'm confused as I never specified checking for the files. foreach f ( *$searchpt* ) set fnew = `echo $f | awk -v searchpat=$searchpt \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using foreach with two lists

Hi everybody, I'm trying to use a foreach command with two lists. The file.txt looks like this: var1: 100 200 300 var2: 3 6 9 I'm trying to use a foreach command to associate the two variables together. My script looks like this: #! /bin/tcsh set a=(`cat file.txt | grep 'var1' | cut -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonWhite
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get following result using foreach command?

Dear all, For example, if data contains following numbers:1 2 3 4 5 6 I would like get like below using foreach command,1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 2 3 2 4 2 5 2 6 3 4 3 5 3 6 4 5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan Kim
1 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)