Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar write err
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar write err Post 21504 by Kevin Pryke on Friday 17th of May 2002 06:54:16 AM
Old 05-17-2002
tar write err

This isn't causing me a problem, but it is puzzling (& slightly worrying) me.

If I use tar to copy to a tape & the tape is write protected, I only get the message 'tar: tape write err' if there are a few files to copy.

eg. # tar cvf /dev/rStp4 /usr/data
will produce the messages

/usr/data/file1
/usr/data/file2
/usr/data/file3
/usr/data/file4
/usr/data/file5
tar: tape write error

however # tar cvf /dev/rStp4 temp
produces the message

a temp 1 tape block

and no error message.

Any ideas?

This is on SCO openserver 5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: write error unexpected end of file

Hi, I have attempted to backup some database files on my company's Solaris machine about 3 times now. Each time that I attempt the backup, about 6 files are evident on the dat tape when I do read of the media and then I see the dreaded "tar: write error unexpected EOF" message. Each time that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robyn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar: write error: unexpected EOF

Hi friends, I am using Sun Solaris 5.9. I want to take backup of 3 folders which are 50 GB in size totally using tar command on tapes. I am having DAT 72 tape. After initiating tar command (tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0n /tmp/dir1/ /tmp/dir2/ /tmp/dir3/), tarring is stopped after 10 hrs (approx) and i am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayakumar.pc
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am taring to disk and get this message: tar: write error: unexpected EOF This message is normally associated with tape devices, not disk. Here is the syntax: tar -cf <tarfilename> /dir Have you seen this message on disk tars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write script in tar

i have the script.in this script comprees formatlike tar and insert to another directory and another sever.and how to write this process in script . iam new for unix how to do this process. please helpmea naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To write a shell script which groups files with certain pattern, create a tar and zip

Hi Guru's, I have to write a shell script which groups file names based upon the certain matching string pattern, then creates the Tar file for that particular group of files and then zips the Tar file created for the respective group of files. For example, In the given directory these files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahu_sg
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: write error: unexpected EOF I usually encounter this when I'm doing backup to Dat72 tape. Here's the command gzip all files in a directory then tar cvfp /dev/rmt/0n files. Not all files are copied. Any things I should look at? Directory size? ---------- Post updated at 05:20 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. Solaris

I/O error Err#5 EIO

Hi gurus, My Solaris version is Solaris 10 1/06 s10s_u1wos_19a SPARC Im getting I/O error while trying to ls -l a directory in Solaris SPARC box the truss output from server is attached below truss -fall -vall -wall -rall ls -la 12278/1: acl("./dat", GETACLCNT, 0,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris_Begin
3 Replies
updadmin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updadmin(8)

NAME
updadmin - Invokes the Update Installation Cleanup utility to remove or archive backup files created by an Update Installation SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/updadmin DESCRIPTION
The updadmin command invokes the Update Administration Cleanup utility, which removes or archives the backup files that were created by an Update Installation process. There are no flags or options associated with this command. Running this utility is an optional step after performing an Update Installation, but it is recommended if you want to recover disk space being consumed by these backup files. The backup files that are created by an Update Installation have these extensions: *.PreMRG - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized protected system file. System files in this category are system files that are expected to be customized by users, for example, /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts. If the automatic merge process fails to merge the new version of the file with your customizations to the file, your customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the file when the Update Installation is complete. The *.PreMRG version is a copy of the file as it existed before the Update Installation and only will be present if the automatic merge fails. *.PreUPD - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized unprotected system file as it existed before the Update Installa- tion. System files in this category are system files that are not expected to be customized by users, for example, /usr/bin/X11/netscape. If an unprotected system file is altered in any way, customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the system file when the Update Installation is complete. When you are finished merging your customizations into the new version of the file, these backup files no longer are needed, and they can be removed or archived. The Update Installation Cleanup utility gives you the option to archive or remove all backup files, or to select only the files you want. You are prompted to enter an archive destination if you decide to archive the files. The Update Installation Cleanup utility uses the tar(1) command to create the archive, and the archive destination can be any archive des- tination supported by the tar command, including tape devices. The default archive location is the backup.tar file in the /var/adm/update/ directory. You can use any file name you want, but if you want the file to have a extension, you must enter it as part of the file name. If the file name exists, it is overwritten. You have the option to compress the archive file with the gzip utility; if you do, a extension is appended automatically. Unless you compress the archive file, the space savings realized by archiving to a tar file on disk will be only in moving the files from the / (root), /usr, or /var file systems to the file system containing the archive. To save disk space, archive the files to tape. To archive to a tape device in tar format, enter archive destinations similar to the following: /dev/tape/tape0c - archives to a default density rewind tape (with compression) /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 - archives to a nonrewind tape device 0. The _d0 suffix specifies the density. If you are archiving to a nonrewind tape device, it is recommended to use a brand new or erasable tape. On systems capable of graphical display, the updadmin command invokes a graphical user interface to the Update Installation Cleanup util- ity. On systems that are not capable of graphical displays, a text-based, menu-driven user interface is invoked. The Update Installation Cleanup utility is also available as a task from the SysMan Menu. To view the online help for the Update Installation Cleanup utility without running the utility, use the following command: # /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/updadmin.sdl RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to use the Update Installation Cleanup utility. If your system has not been updated to the next version of the operating system by the Update Installation process, the Update Installation Cleanup utility cannot be invoked. FILES
Update Administration Cleanup utility Contains the online help for the Update Administration Cleanup utility. Default location of the ar- chive file SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), gzip(1), sysman(8), installupdate(8) Installation Guide updadmin(8)