Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network programming
Top Forums Programming Network programming Post 21466 by darkspace on Thursday 16th of May 2002 01:52:02 PM
Old 05-16-2002
Question Network programming

Hi,
I`m trying to do some multicast programming, and i`m looking for a C-function to convert an Interfacename to an IP-address or/and a C-function to convert an Interfaceindex to an IP-address.

I need it for the mcast_set_if(int sockfd, const char *ifname (!), u_int ifindex(!)) function by STEVENS.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think the INTERFACENAME is something like eth0 ??!!??!?!?
And what is the index, is there kind of table for each system/ computer ???

like: loopback --> 0
eth0 --> 1
and so on.

Thanks for the help! ;-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

question about accepr() in network programming

I'm working on my homework to write a chatroom program. Different users can be on-line at the same and talk to each other. I found that each time I invoked the accept function. A new socket was created. I don't how can I receive message from the client who is already on-line and send it to others.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niukun
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Network Programming

I am going to purchase Unix Network Programming by Stevens. The only question I have is which edition to buy. The older (early 90's) edition, or the newer (late 90's) edition. I know conventional thinking would point to the latest ( and greatest?), but I wanted to get some feedback from the forum.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

3. Programming

Want To Learn Network Programming

I want to learn Network Programming with C,but I don't know how to start. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubin330
2 Replies

4. Programming

Network Programming in C

hello, i am learning networking programming in C from Unix Networking Programing by W. Richards Stevens. i want to compile the source given in this book on windows and linux platform. if somebody know this on windows, pls let me know. and regarding Linux, every time i compile a program on gcc,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

5. Programming

Network Programming in Unix

Good day everyone, Please help if you are interested in. I need to do a chat client-server program. Does anyone know where I can get references or sample programs? Thank you very much for your time Eric (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: powermind
2 Replies

6. Programming

C Network Programming - recv() help

So I'm making a program that gets the IP Address of an inputed website, then sends the IP Address to an inputed host. This program has no real meaning, but just a learning experiment. So I sucessfully made the program, then I wanted to try out recv(), and it produces some weird output; here is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Octal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux Network Programming

I want to develop a hybrid IM application which will consist of a chat and an offline messaging (BBS) part. Server must support Multiple connection (concurrent) Arguments should not be hard coded (code will be checked at different machines) No input at the command line Must run in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: never mind
3 Replies

8. Programming

Unix network programming

Hi! I am working on fedora.. trying to execute BSD4.4 client-server program which includes "unp.h" header file... While executing make command, I got error like, " expected " , " , " ; ",or ")" in connect_nonb file...ERROR 1 " I tried to change mode of makefile but I can't get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nisha_vaghela
4 Replies

9. Programming

Unix Network Programming

I have written a client-server program which does some data from a file in server to the client. In this I don't want the client to wait indefinitely if server is not running. For this I am using SELECT system call, in this system call we can specify timings as an argument, which tells the client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh046
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies
setipv4sourcefilter(3N) 												   setipv4sourcefilter(3N)

NAME
setipv4sourcefilter() - set IPv4 multicast source filter state SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
This function sets the multicast source filter state for an IPv4 multicast group on a given socket. This function can be used to join a multicast group by specifying a filter mode of (with or without a source list), or by specifying a filter mode of with a non-empty source list. If the multicast group is already joined, this function replaces the existing filter mode and source list with the ones provided. This function can be used to leave a multicast group by specifying a filter mode of and an empty source list. Parameters s Specifies the descriptor identifying the socket. The socket address family must be and the socket type must be interface Holds the IPv4 address of a local interface, or If set to the system chooses a multicast group by matching the multicast address only; or when joining a group, the system chooses the interface that datagrams for the group would be sent from, based on the routing configuration. group Holds the IPv4 multicast address of the group. fmode Identifies the filter mode. The value of this field must be either or which are defined in numsrc Holds the number of source addresses in the slist array. slist Points to an array of IPv4 addresses of sources to include or exclude depending on the filter mode. RETURN VALUES
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values: The argument s is not a valid descriptor. This function is not supported by the socket type. Insufficient memory is available for internal system data structures. numsrc exceeds the maximum number of sources allowed, as determined by the ndd tunable parameters and The specified IP address is not a local interface address; or trying to leave an unjoined group. group is not an IPv4 multicast address; or slist contains an invalid source address; or the specified filter mode is not valid. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the IETF. SEE ALSO
ndd(1M), socket(2), getipv4sourcefilter(3N), getsourcefilter(3N), setsourcefilter(3N), ip(7P), ip6(7P). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
RFC 3678 setipv4sourcefilter(3N)