Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun SS10 networking
Special Forums Cybersecurity Sun SS10 networking Post 21368 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 15th of May 2002 05:20:27 PM
Old 05-15-2002
Quote:
but when I type [boot cdrom] it seems to reboot, and tell me that there is a media error.
You can't load Solaris 8 on a SS10 - the hardware is too old. I'm not sure if Solaris 7 can go on it, but Solaris 2.6 will.

Quote:
My questions:

1- where do I get info on SS10 hardware
2- SunOs/solaris install + admin for SS10
Question 1 - Try this link to sunsolve - SS10 Handbook

Question 2 - You should get info with the Solaris 2.6 on how to install - as far as administration, you can either pick up a book, or read through SUN's documents here

Question 3 - such an old system...try either hme0 or le0. Not sure which as it has been some time since playing with a SS10. One of those should work with the ifconfig command. Check the man page on dmesg and then run the command piped to more or grep for hme or le0 - or just read all that goes by until you see the interface being probed.
thehoghunter

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configuring networking interface on Sun Blade 1500

Hi, I am attempting to configure my ethernet interface on a Sun Blade 1500. I am testing out my network interface my connecting a crossover cable from my blade to a windows box. I would like to assign an ip address of 10.0.0.2 to "bge0" and netmask of "255.0.0.0". I have typed the following: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annointed3
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help: Sun Disk partitioning for Sun V240 & StorEdge 3300

Dear Sun gurus, I have Sun Fire V240 server with its StorEdge 3300 disk-array. Following are its disks appeared in format command. I have prepared its partitions thru format and metainit & metattach (may be i have made wrong steps, causing the errors below because I have done thru some document... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafeeq
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Application running too slow on Sun SPARC T5440 but run normal on sun M3000

Hi all, I have application running on sun server T5440 4x8x1.4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, application running very slow though load average too low. when I install my application on another server SUN M3000 (One CPU 1x8x2.5GHz, 8GB RAM), application run smoothly. Here is my server T5440 info: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
6 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)