Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Assigning existing users to a secondary group Post 21301 by Maestin on Wednesday 15th of May 2002 03:45:14 AM
Old 05-15-2002
usermod -G <group> <user>

I think..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user

Is there any command which can list me all the Group ID's (Primary, Secondary ) assocaited with a single user. Thanks Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Secondary group info source

Experts, I know when I use id it shows only the primary group information for the given user, and that info comes from passwd file. When I use groups it shows all groups user are member of, however from where come information given by groups command? grep fmtt3990 /etc/passwd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmattos
6 Replies

5. Solaris

su: No shell/No directory! if sys is added to a users secondary group

Hi, When I include a user to the secondary group "sys" GID=3 in Solaris 9 OS I'm not able to login. I get these error. The user home directory and the shell exists. Is this because of any security hardening. # su - agent No directory! # su agent su: No shell # grep taddm /etc/passwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent001
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create new group/delete existing group

Hi, please let me know the commands to create new group/delete existing group in unix and assigning users to newly created group. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating a secondary read only group with setfacl

We have created ACL's to allow two differnet groups to access some directories. You can see output from getfacl below. group::rwx group:rbauser:r-- The original group has full access, the secondary group has read only. However users in the secondary group can't see the directories. Think this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dw82199
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find Secondary Group only?

Hi, I would like to know how to find our secondary group of user only. I have used the command id -Gn user1 it is showing both groups of user. Primary and secondary group. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

9. Linux

Openldap add user to secondary group

Hello, i try to add user john to secondary group, named groupB this will add as primary group, how can i add to secondary group?? dn: cn=groupB,ou=Groups,dc=ldap-server,dc=com changetype: modify add: memberuid memberuid: john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a secondary group from user (Linux)

Oracle Linux 6.6 grid user's secondary groups are asmadmin,asmdba,asmoper and dba # id -a grid uid=638(grid) gid=2000(oinstall) groups=2000(oinstall),2100(asmadmin),2200(dba),2300(asmdba),2301(asmoper) I want to remove dba as the secondary group for grid and keep the remaining ones. ie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
groupdel(1M)                                              System Administration Commands                                              groupdel(1M)

NAME
groupdel - delete a group definition from the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/groupdel group DESCRIPTION
The groupdel utility deletes a group definition from the system. It deletes the appropriate entry from the /etc/group file. OPERANDS
group An existing group name to be deleted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Success. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the groupdel command is displayed. 6 group does not exist. 10 Cannot update the /etc/group file. FILES
/etc/group system file containing group definitions ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
users(1B), groupadd(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The groupdel utility only deletes a group definition that is in the local /etc/group file. If a network nameservice such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/group file with additional entries, groupdel cannot change information supplied by the network nameservice. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 groupdel(1M)