Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: INodes...
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory INodes... Post 20990 by LivinFree on Wednesday 8th of May 2002 04:25:44 PM
Old 05-08-2002
For simplicity sake, think of an inode on a Unix
system like a sector on a DOS FAT filesystem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

inodes???

Does anyone know what command I can run to check how many inodes are in use on a specific filesystem. On Data General servers I used to run the df -k command to check the status of the inodes for all file system.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

4. Linux

Inodes

Any good sites, tutorials that explain Inodes clearly and completely ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Number of used inodes..?

Hello Experts How can i know Number of used and free inodes in a file system? thanx in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Increasing inodes

Hi , Can someone help me to increase "inode" in solaris 9? Thanks in advance, Gowtham (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

inodes

Hi, sorry to have written in other language i think i could do that. I would to know A file system use inodes indexed allocation as a method of allocating space. In the inode blocks are 10 references to direct, 1 indirect reference to a single block, 1 block indirect reference to a reference to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryprin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/var: out of inodes

Dear Forum, Please help me i have SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 with sun solaris 8,if i check inode in /var like below: # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 62354 310638 17% / /dev/md/dsk/d3 372992 0 100% /var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Inodes please

How can i trace Inode structure and modify it in UNIX kernel? We want to change the inode structure in the sense that we want to add a new field to the inode data structure. So we want to know how and where to trace inode (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Group_Inode
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum inodes

Hi, Is there a restriction in the number of inodes a particular directory can have in Solaris. If so how can we determine that. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
3 Replies
PREP(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PREP(8)

NAME
prep, format - prepare hard and floppy diskettes SYNOPSIS
disk/prep [ -ra ] special [ type ] disk/format [ -t type ] [ -f ] [ -d ] [ -b bfile ] [ -c csize ] [ -l label ] drive [ files ... ] DESCRIPTION
A partition table is stored on a hard disk to specify the division of the physical disk into a set of logical units. On Plan 9 the parti- tion table is a list of triples: name, starting sector, and ending sector. The kernel fabricates the first two partitions, disk and parti- tion; the disk partition records the starting and ending sectors for the whole disk, and the partition partition, typically the last sector on the disk, holds the partition table itself. Special is the maximal prefix of names of the logical units on the disk, for example #w/hd0. Prep reads and prints the associated parti- tion table and then enters a simple interactive mode to control editing the table. The options are: -r (read only) prohibits writing the table on disk. -a automatically create default partitions if no partition table already exists. These include partitions for DOS, a boot kernel, an NVRAM substitute, a kfs(4) file system, and, if room remains, a swap partition. Format prepares for use the floppy diskette in the disk file named drive, for example /dev/fd0disk. The options are: -f Do not physically format the disc. Used to install an MS-DOS filesystem on a previously formatted disc. With this option, drive can be a plain file. -t specify a density and type of disk to be prepared. The possible types are: 31/2DD 31/2" double density, 737280 bytes 31/2HD 31/2" high density, 1474560 bytes 51/4DD 51/4" double density, 368640 bytes 51/4HD 51/4" high density, 1146880 bytes The default is the highest possible on the device, unless -f is used, in which case the default is 31/2HD. -d add MS-DOS parameter block, file access table (FAT), and root directory to the start of the floppy. The remaining options have effect only when -d is specified: -b use the contents of bfile as the bootstrap block installed in sector 0. -c use a DOS cluster size of csize sectors when creating the DOS FAT. -l add a label when creating the DOS parameter block. Again under -d, any files listed are added, in order, to the root directory of the MS-DOS filesytem. The files are contiguously allocated and created with the READONLY attribute set. The file /sys/src/boot/pc/bb is an example of a suitable bfile to make the disk a boot disk. It gets loaded by the BIOS at 0x7C00, reads the root directory into address 0x7E00, and looks at the first root directory entry. If that file is called B.COM, it uses single sector reads to load the file into address 0x10000 and then jumps to the loaded file image. EXAMPLE
Create a Plan 9 boot floppy on a previously formatted diskette: disk/format -f -b bb -d /dev/fd0disk /386/b.com SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/disk/prep.c /sys/src/cmd/disk/format.c /sys/src/boot/pc/bb.s SEE ALSO
floppy(3), wren(3), b.com(8) PREP(8)