Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace Post 20911 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 7th of May 2002 02:13:42 PM
Old 05-07-2002
here is a link to some thing that may help.
https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s...&highlight=sed

You could just as easily use sed instead of perl. Also, your match may be failing. It is possible that when you capture the value for $i that it is not matching properly.

Also I would try executing the sed/perl statement from the command line to see what it does there.

Here is my attempt. Here is my input file and the output after I execute the command line.

Every other line has a # in it...

/root> cat toddfile
# This is a test
This is a test
# This is a test
This is a test
# This is a test
This is a test
# This is a test
This is a test
# This is a test

Here is the execution of the command line and output...

root> sed -e 's/\#/Not-Implimented/' toddfile
Not-Implimented This is a test
This is a test
This is a test
This is a test
This is a test

Now that I look at your script, I think that the "grep" is the problem.

Last edited by Kelam_Magnus; 05-07-2002 at 03:29 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a varible into file in ksh

set filename $logDir/PyLog/$logname echo $filename >> logname.txt I am trying to write to write the varibale filename into a file logname.txt,it is not working could any one suggest y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in varible?

Hey guys I have here what I am sure amounts to a pretty dumb question.... how do I assign a value of say 999 to a variable called "random number" (note the space between random and number). What would the script look like using borne shell? Thanks! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattingtonjbear
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is this a varible type?

Wondering what $@ does - is it a variable of some kind? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jayden
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: varible-sized arrays?

How do you store strings in a variable-sized array? Background: I wrote a program earlier today to work with a very large text file. I chose Perl because it lets me do some nice formatting on the text I grab, instead of just using a shell script to con'cat'enate egrep results. The program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a varible in script having value including quotes?

Hi All, We need to run a Connect direct script on Unix server to send a file to Mainframe server and at mainframe end there need to run another job through Runtask with some parameters need to be passed from C:D (unix) to mainframe. My question is I have to pass parameters like DSN and FNAME as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrix001
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store/read multiple values from a varible

Hi, when I enter 'ps -ef| grep process_name'/'psu | grep process_name', i am getting multiple number of lines output( i mean multiple no of processes).how can i store it one by one and echo it in the same way(one by one). part of script is var1=$(remsh hostname -l username ps -ef|grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanzibbin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Varible with AWK in KSH

I am trying to set a variable from this AWK command in KSH but I keep getting an error that says my variable cannot be found. LOADNO = $(awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt) If I just run awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt I get the right value but as soon as I try to assign this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvigeant
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to pass varible

I want to pass variable to below awk statement awk '/abc123/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log I tried -v like below, but its not working. Please help!!! awk -v var1="abc123" '/var1/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log Input file is: sftp_log_20150317.log ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aa_app varible in Linux

Hi, I am analyzing linux script, below is the following script line ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/save_file_list ApplEnv.prererun ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/ApplEnv.install_save_list I really dont understand what this line does, can someone explain me. AA_APP is variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)