Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers extract last word on line to new file Post 20900 by auswipe on Tuesday 7th of May 2002 11:26:46 AM
Old 05-07-2002
In the spirit of "There is more than one way to do it" here is the a Perl sample for the same results...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

while ($inputLine = <>) {
  my @values = split(/ /, $inputLine);
  print "$values[$#values]";
};

Sample in use:

Code:
OpenBSD:joeuser:/home/joeuser/sample $ lastword.pl < source.txt
Bullock
Avent
RUSSELL
Harris
Tyndall

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word extract from a line

In a file let a.txt, has 1 line code i.e. code QC:Tiger:10: /code I need to get my output like "Tiger 10". So how can i do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract just a word from a File in Shell?

Hello Friends, I have a txt file which has data like this TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on 23-MAR-2010 15:38:42 Copyright (c) 1997, 2006, Oracle. All rights reserved. Used parameter files: Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias Attempting to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract word from a line

Hi, I've searched the forum to get what I wanted but to no avail. Here's the problem I'm facing. The line is suppose as below: <INPUT DATABASE ="ORACLE" DBNAME ="UNIX" NAME ="FACT_TABLE" OWNERNAME ="DIPS"> Now I want to extract only FACT_TABLE. The trials are as follows: awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to extract the 2nd last word of each line

Hello experts, I have question that i want to extract the second last word of each line. I have a text file, in that text file there are near about 40 lines. sample of line present in file /user/Oracle/x/x/S/part_bkp/temp_part_bkp/x1/test1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a word from text file name

Hi i want to extract the word present before .txt in the text file. For example, Sample_ab_a.txt ----------> i need 'a' Sample_abc_b.txt -----------> i need 'b' Can anyone help me in getting the word extracted (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sindhuap
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the word from the file and print it

I have a file which I am reading and then I need to extract a particualr word and if it matches the line. 2015-01-22 07:30:17,814000 +0900 /INFO: - <ns2:virtualServerid="PH11PK" /> Means if the line contain Virtual server I need to extract the id . Code I wrote#!/usr/bin/perl ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: karan8810
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract the word after a particular keyword throughout the file..

Hi Everyone, Need help in extracting the hostname from the below output. Expected output: DS-TESTB-GDS-1.TEST.ABC.COM DS-TESTB-GDS-2.TEST.ABC.COM .... ... /tmp $ cat -n /tmp/patchreport 1 /usr/bin/perl /admin/bin/patch/applyPatches.pl --apply_patches... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiyagoo
4 Replies
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Chart::Scatter(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	      Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Chart::Scatter(3pm)

NAME
Scatter - A writer class for Excel Scatter charts. SYNOPSIS
To create a simple Excel file with a Scatter chart using Spreadsheet::WriteExcel: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel; my $workbook = Spreadsheet::WriteExcel->new( 'chart.xls' ); my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet(); my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'scatter' ); # Configure the chart. $chart->add_series( categories => '=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7', values => '=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7', ); # Add the worksheet data the chart refers to. my $data = [ [ 'Category', 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ], [ 'Value', 1, 4, 5, 2, 1, 5 ], ]; $worksheet->write( 'A1', $data ); __END__ DESCRIPTION
This module implements Scatter charts for Spreadsheet::WriteExcel. The chart object is created via the Workbook "add_chart()" method: my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'scatter' ); Once the object is created it can be configured via the following methods that are common to all chart classes: $chart->add_series(); $chart->set_x_axis(); $chart->set_y_axis(); $chart->set_title(); These methods are explained in detail in Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Chart. Class specific methods or settings, if any, are explained below. Scatter Chart Methods There aren't currently any scatter chart specific methods. See the TODO section of Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Chart. EXAMPLE
Here is a complete example that demonstrates most of the available features when creating a chart. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel; my $workbook = Spreadsheet::WriteExcel->new( 'chart_scatter.xls' ); my $worksheet = $workbook->add_worksheet(); my $bold = $workbook->add_format( bold => 1 ); # Add the worksheet data that the charts will refer to. my $headings = [ 'Number', 'Sample 1', 'Sample 2' ]; my $data = [ [ 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ], [ 1, 4, 5, 2, 1, 5 ], [ 3, 6, 7, 5, 4, 3 ], ]; $worksheet->write( 'A1', $headings, $bold ); $worksheet->write( 'A2', $data ); # Create a new chart object. In this case an embedded chart. my $chart = $workbook->add_chart( type => 'scatter', embedded => 1 ); # Configure the first series. (Sample 1) $chart->add_series( name => 'Sample 1', categories => '=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7', values => '=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7', ); # Configure the second series. (Sample 2) $chart->add_series( name => 'Sample 2', categories => '=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7', values => '=Sheet1!$C$2:$C$7', ); # Add a chart title and some axis labels. $chart->set_title ( name => 'Results of sample analysis' ); $chart->set_x_axis( name => 'Test number' ); $chart->set_y_axis( name => 'Sample length (cm)' ); # Insert the chart into the worksheet (with an offset). $worksheet->insert_chart( 'D2', $chart, 25, 10 ); __END__ AUTHOR
John McNamara jmcnamara@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright MM-MMX, John McNamara. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software. It may be used, redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-02-02 Spreadsheet::WriteExcel::Chart::Scatter(3pm)