Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question regarding BSD:)
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Question regarding BSD:) Post 20795 by Jlage on Saturday 4th of May 2002 02:49:35 AM
Old 05-04-2002
Question Question regarding BSD:)

Hello All!
I am a macintosh user and I am starting to get into using UNIX through Mac OS X which is installed on a partition all to itself. I am having alot of fun just looking through directories and learning about it on the internet, and i have come across BSD alot. I went to freebsd.org and it tells me where i can get it and what not, but here is my question to you all: What is it? compared to os x?, how do i install it, and can it run on a macintosh with a drive formated in mac os extended( i believe that is what it is, what ever comes standardSmilie Any help in this area would be much appreciated!
Thank You,
Jlage

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

2. BSD

A question about BSD kernel and driver

I have an old hppa workstation install Openbsd on it,suppose i want to use bktr driver on it,i see bktr is configured on some archs(amd64,i386,ppc) but not on hppa,can i use the bktr driver line from amd64 or i386 in Generic kernel or custom kernel config? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies
update-desktop-database(1)					   User Commands					update-desktop-database(1)

NAME
update-desktop-database - Desktop file caching utility SYNOPSIS
update-desktop-database [--help] [--verbose] [--quiet] [filepath] DESCRIPTION
update-desktop-database creates cache files for desktop file MIME type mapping for improved MIME lookup performance. It expects to be given the path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files, e.g. /usr/share/applications, and writes a mime-info.cache containing cached information about the MIME types that each application can handle. If no directory is provided, this utility will use a default directory list as specified in the FreeDesktop MIME specification. This cache file is used to avoid a lot of system call and disk seek overhead in a number of applications. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -?, --help Show help options. -v, --verbose Turn on verbose output. -q, --quiet Do not provide any output. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filepath The path to a directory or directories containing a number of application installed .desktop files. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully 1 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/update-desktop-databaseThe command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/applications System desktop file directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-prefs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
update-mime-database(1), gnome-desktop-item-edit(1), attributes(5), gnome-interfaces(5) Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide and GNOME System Administration Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2007. SunOS 5.11 31 Jan 2007 update-desktop-database(1)