Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux help on X and motd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux help on X and motd Post 20679 by killerserv on Thursday 2nd of May 2002 05:20:32 AM
Old 05-02-2002
You can try xmotd

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/xmotd/

Its a pop-up motd running on X as soon as you login your account. Do read the software readme file first for supporting hardware and Etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Editing motd

Hie. Im having a problem editing the motd ( message of the day ). I tried to edit the file /etc/motd but its end up with nothing. I find out the directory /etc/motd is in rw- r - r i changed it to executable rwxw-rw-r but having same thing no changes in the motd. Anyone having any idea how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

motd for different users

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on this question: I have different groups of users logging into our servers and I would like to set it up so that when they login they could get an update from the motd. How do I set it up so that I can have one group see a different motd than the system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

6. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to print date/cal in /etc/motd on linux server

helo i want to show today date and calendar when v succesfuly login on the system on the linux server please orovide the sol for the same thanx :):):) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

8. Solaris

MOTD Display

Hi all, Wish to check which setting is set to display the MOTD AFTER successful password verification. I am logging in via a 3rd party ssh tool tectia. Eg. Login: password: OS Prompt> Thanks Eugene (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
5 Replies

9. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

/etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory? I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better? I knew that being a director, but many told me not. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mescu
1 Replies
Ns_Url(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 					Ns_Url(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_AbsoluteUrl, Ns_ParseUrl, Ns_RelativeUrl, Ns_SkipUrl - URL manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_AbsoluteUrl(Ns_DString *pds, char *url, char *baseurl) int Ns_ParseUrl(char *url, char **pprotocol, char **phost, char **pport, char **ppath, char **ptail) char * Ns_RelativeUrl(char *url, char *location) char * Ns_SkipUrl(Ns_Request *request, int n) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Ns_AbsoluteUrl(pds, url, baseurl) Construct an URL based on baseurl but with as many parts of the incomplete url as possible. Return NS_OK or NS_ERROR. Ns_ParseUrl(url, pprotocol, phost, pport, ppath, ptail) Parse a URL into its component parts. Pointers to the protocol, host, port, path, and "tail" (last path element) will be set by ref- erence in the passed-in pointers. The passed-in url will be modified. Ns_RelativeUrl(url, location) If the url passed in is for this server, then the initial part of the URL is stripped off. e.g., on a server whose location is http://www.foo.com, Ns_RelativeUrl of "http://www.foo.com/hello" will return "/hello". Returns a pointer to the beginning of the relative url in the passed-in url, or NULL if error. Will set errno on error. Ns_SkipUrl(request, n) Return a pointer n elements into the request's url. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Url(3aolserver)