Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Internet Connection
Special Forums IP Networking Unix Internet Connection Post 2063 by kdelph on Tuesday 17th of April 2001 09:54:32 AM
Old 04-17-2001
Ok On my system it is f2,

I disabled the PNP but can not set the controller Mode as there is no PC Card Section though when in KDE I look at PCI there is a PCI Bridge. I'm not sure how to access the controller mode to change to PCIC Compatible. I have tried to log on to the internet anyhow and of course no go, I am still getting this error cannot activate changes:
(meaning I cannot change the IP address, netmask, etc.)
Error things to do:

Executing \etc\rc3.d\S60lpd start.

I am also getting this message when I boot up lpd initialized but then lpd 2001-04-17-08:42.20.002 Get_Local_Host hostname webmaster.frenchiephotos bad

then when I shut down I get these errors:

Stopping lpd failed.

I have to somehow fix this error to be able to change the IP address to the correct one. I think I'm typing in my hostname the wrong way as well. I don't really have a hostname I know in Window's you don't even need one, do they mean the adapter address instead of hostname? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!! SmilieSmilie
Turning off swap failed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setup internet connection

HI.. i was wondering if someone out there can help me setup my internet connection.... i have no clue how to set it up.. could you please tell me step by step how to set it up.. i have a static ip, im using a cable modem to connect. my os is solaris 8. Please email me at lil_souldier@hotmail.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting up internet connection!!

HI unix guru.. i need your help again.. i tring to setup my sun box for internet connection, i am using @home cable service i have 8 pc running different operating systems. every other computer can go online but this sun box for some reason alway give me and error, i enter my ip address... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: souldier
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Internet Connection via Lan

I have a sun wokstation running solaris 9 , I want to configuring my lan card to access internet . my IP address : 192.168.144.20 ISP gateway : 192.168.144.1 DNS address : 202.56.250.5 all helps will be appreciated thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: una
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris internet connection

Hi everyone, I just installed Solaris 10 in my PC. However, once I finished installing it, I lost my internet connection. When I switch to windows, the internet can run smoothly. Does anyone know how to set up internet connection in Solaris ? I am so sorry, I am new in UNIX (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qqq
7 Replies

5. Linux

setting up internet connection

I'm having fedora core4.I have a ADSL modem and can access through Windows.I tried setting up internet connection in linux using setup command and netconfig,but doesn't work. can anybody help me with the steps in detail.also can i use the same ip address as in windows? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laddu
7 Replies

6. BSD

Internet connection with PC BSD

Hi friends! :) I have got an Acer laptop. in one of the partion's I have got PC BSD installed. I am new UNIX user coz first I was using Windows, so I am still learning it. I only know few commands, and I find it very interesting. Unfrtunately, when I log into PC BSD, I can't connect to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dubbio123
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check Internet connection?

I am using SUSE OS and want to check internet connection... I have tried: ping -c3 google.com The output i have got is: Unknown host google.com does it means that i do not have Internet connection?? Or please help me with any Command to find Internet connection? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salil2012
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Internet connection

I got solaris 10 works, but I cannot set up my internet connection. When I ping a website and i open the web browser, it doesn't work. When the installation asked 'Am I in a network?' i answerd 'no'. I think this is my minstake. How can i get Internet, now? I have a ADSL modem (not router).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Sharing internet connection

Hello all, Recently took a dive into Unix using Fedora 12 atm. I have cable modem with DHCP and a linksys 8 port router. With windows I was able to simple use the uplink port and plug each computer into the switch and use the internet connection. Having no luck doing the same in Unix. I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check internet connection?

Hello, I need a simple shell script that returns a value if the system is internet connected and a different value if the system is not connected. Can anyone please help? Thanks Daniele (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
3 Replies
cups-lpd(8)							    Apple Inc.							       cups-lpd(8)

NAME
cups-lpd - receive print jobs and report printer status to lpd clients SYNOPSIS
cups-lpd [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -n ] [ -o option=value ] DESCRIPTION
cups-lpd is the CUPS Line Printer Daemon ("LPD") mini-server that supports legacy client systems that use the LPD protocol. cups-lpd does not act as a standalone network daemon but instead operates using the Internet "super-server" inetd(8) or xinetd(8). If you are using inetd, add the following line to the inetd.conf file to enable the cups-lpd mini-server: printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream Note: If you are using Solaris 10 or higher, you must run the inetdconv(1m) program to register the changes to the inetd.conf file. If you are using the newer xinetd(8) daemon, create a file named /etc/xinetd.d/cups containing the following lines: service printer { socket_type = stream protocol = tcp wait = no user = lp group = sys passenv = server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream } OPTIONS
-h hostname[:port] Sets the CUPS server (and port) to use. -n Disables reverse address lookups; normally cups-lpd will try to discover the hostname of the client via a reverse DNS lookup. -o name=value Inserts options for all print queues. Most often this is used to disable the "l" filter so that remote print jobs are filtered as needed for printing; the examples in the previous section set the "document-format" option to "application/octet-stream" which forces autodetection of the print file format. PERFORMANCE
cups-lpd performs well with small numbers of clients and printers. However, since a new process is created for each connection and since each process must query the printing system before each job submission, it does not scale to larger configurations. We highly recommend that large configurations use the native IPP support provided by CUPS instead. SECURITY
cups-lpd currently does not perform any access control based on the settings in cupsd.conf(5) or in the hosts.allow(5) or hosts.deny(5) files used by TCP wrappers. Therefore, running cups-lpd on your server will allow any computer on your network (and perhaps the entire Internet) to print to your server. While xinetd has built-in access control support, you should use the TCP wrappers package with inetd to limit access to only those comput- ers that should be able to print through your server. cups-lpd is not enabled by the standard CUPS distribution. Please consult with your operating system vendor to determine whether it is enabled on your system. COMPATIBILITY
cups-lpd does not enforce the restricted source port number specified in RFC 1179, as using restricted ports does not prevent users from submitting print jobs. While this behavior is different than standard Berkeley LPD implementations, it should not affect normal client operations. The output of the status requests follows RFC 2569, Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols. Since many LPD implementations stray from this definition, remote status reporting to LPD clients may be unreliable. SEE ALSO
cups(1), cupsd(8), inetconv(1m), inetd(8), xinetd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 4 August 2008 CUPS cups-lpd(8)