Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about error
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Question about error Post 20394 by Perderabo on Thursday 25th of April 2002 01:49:06 PM
Old 04-25-2002
The peer sent a reset packet. This might happen if it rebooted. Once it comes back up it won't remember the connection. So when your box tries to continue the conversation, the remote box just aborts the connection.

Another cause that I have have seen is when some other box takes the same ip address. You can test that by shutting down the remote sever and trying trying to ping it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Question

Every night I recieve this message: Verify Report - Broken/missing symbolic links File With Discrepancies : 213 Total Discrepancies : 213 Can anyone explain what this is and how I can resolve it? Thanks, DJ At Work (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about error reporting

hi all, i've got a script that takes in what a user enters (multiple entries) and then joins them all together and appends this to a file. what i want to happen now is the terminal should display "record saved" if the save to the file is successful, if it isn't just display the standard unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzag
2 Replies

3. Programming

C Question compilation error

What does the following mean: state_field state_abvr = { "AL","ALABAMA", "AK","ALASKA", . . . }; extern state_field state_abvr; issues we I am facing following compilation issue bosdf9d1:root make CC -I/bto/bcs/shared/include -I/bto/sys/BCS/usr/include ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganreddy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on error from script

I used set -n FS.sh to check for syntax errors. No problems. I run the script with set -x and set -v with the following error: find: bad option ; find: path-list predicate-list Reviewing the verbose output everything is read correctly. The files transfer and the script completes. I can't seem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigSky
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Question - error during boot

I have an HP NetServer LH3 which is exhibiting an error during the boot process. I am getting the following messages, none of which I've seen before 1. WARNING: SCSI adapter: Cannot install intr vecno=12 type=4 IPL=5 Vector 12 is private 2. WARNING: "TEST_UNIT_READY" Command timed 11 seconds... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slant-40
0 Replies

6. Programming

Newbie Question.. -> error: syntax error before ';' token

Hello, the following is generating a error at the line "tmprintf(&tmBundle, _TMC("{0}"),Prompt);"... a bit lost as I am diving into this debug... Thank you in advance... int H_YesNo(TMCHAR *Prompt, int DefVal) { TMCHAR YesNo = '\0'; tmprintf(&tmBundle, _TMC("{0}"),Prompt); while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reelflytime
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on FTP Error Log

Hello All, Below is the control card or the file which i am using in shell script to mget files from remote machine via FTP. bash-3.00$ cat ftp_ALD_DAC.log open 10.xx.yy.zzz user D00000187 nb8tr4xx2u ascii cd prod/out lcd /Internal_Impact_TT_Input mget ALD*.TXT bye Below is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error redirection question

Hi gurus, I have a question, need some of your inputs... I have a command like this : export LINE_COUNT=`wc -l test.dat | awk '{print $1}'` echo $LINE_COUNT --- > gives me 2 which is fine as the file has 2 lines. This works fine if the file test.dat is present but in case... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about syntax error

first of all.. sorry about all the question bombing.. im bored atm so im currently playing around with sh scripting hehe s = `expr ls -s Documents | grep Music | awk '{ print $1 }' ` t = `expr $t + $s` it give syntax error s not found t not found lol... any idea why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[QUESTION] While umatched error

Hi guys...was trying to use while loop and a sentry to prompt user input again if an invalid option was entered...but somehow I got a "while" unmatched error...The code is as below: #!/system/bin/sh finsh=0 while do echo "Please select an option: " echo "1. One" echo "2. Two" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryuinferno
4 Replies
IDENT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  IDENT(3)

NAME
ident_lookup, ident_id, ident_free, id_open, id_close, id_query, id_parse, id_fileno - query remote IDENT server SYNOPSIS
#include <ident.h> High-level calls IDENT *ident_lookup(int fd, int timeout) char *ident_id(int fd, int timeout) void ident_free(IDENT *id) Low-level calls id_t *id_open(laddr, faddr, timeout) struct in_addr *laddr, *faddr; struct timeval *timeout; int id_close(id) id_t *id; id_query(id, lport, fport, timeout) id_t *id; int lport, fport; struct timeval *timeout; int id_parse(id, timeout, lport, fport, identifier, opsys, charset) id_t *id; struct timeval *timeout; int *lport, *fport; char **identifier, **opsys, **charset; int id_fileno(id) id_t *id; DESCRIPTION
ident_lookup tries to connect to a remote IDENT server to establish the identity of the peer connected on fd, which should be a socket file descriptor. timeout is the longest permissible time to block waiting for an answer, and is given in seconds. A value of 0 (zero) means wait indefinitely (which in the most extreme case will normally be until the underlying network times out). ident_lookup returns a pointer to an IDENT struct, which has the following contents: typedef struct { int lport; /* Local port */ int fport; /* Far (remote) port */ char *identifier; /* Normally user name */ char *opsys; /* OS */ char *charset; /* Charset (what did you expect?) */ } IDENT; For a full description of the different fields, refer to RFC-1413. All data returned by ident_lookup (including the IDENT struct) points to malloc'd data, which can be freed with a call to ident_free. ident_lookup returns 0 on error or timeout. Presently, this should normally be taken to mean that the remote site is not running an IDENT server, but it might naturally be caused by other network related problems as well. Note that all fields of the IDENT struct need not nec- essarily be set. ident_id takes the same parameters as ident_lookup but only returns a pointer to a malloc'd area containing the identifier string, which is probably the most wanted data from the IDENT query. ident_free frees all data areas associated with the IDENT struct pointed to by id, including the struct itself. Low-level calls The low-level calls can be used when greater flexibility is needed. For example, if non-blocking I/O is needed, or multiple queries to the same host are to be made. id_open opens a connection to the remote IDENT server referred to by faddr. The timeout is specified by timeout. A null-pointer means wait indefinitely, while a pointer to a zero-valued timeval struct sets non-blocking I/O, in the same way as for select(2). id_open returns a pointer to an id_t datum, which is an opaque structure to be used as future reference to the opened connection. When using non- blocking I/O it might however be useful to access the underlying socket file descriptior, which can be gotten at through the id_fileno macro described below. id_close closes the connection opened with id_open and frees all data associated with id. id_query sends off a query to a remote IDENT server. lport and fport are sent to the server to identify the connection for which identifi- cation is needed. timeout is given as for id_open. If successful, id_query returns the number of bytes sent to the remote server. If not, -1 is returned and errno is set. id_parse parses the reply to a query sent off by id_query and returns information to the locations pointed to by lport, fport, identifier, opsys and charset. For string data (identifier, opsys and charset) pointers to malloc'd space are returned. id_parse returns: 1 If completely successful. -3 Illegal reply type from remote server. identifier is set to the illegal reply. -2 Cannot parse the reply from the server. identifier is normally set to the illegal reply. -1 On general errors or timeout. 0 When non-blocking mode is set and id_parse has not finished parsing the reply from the remote server. 2 Indicates the query/reply were successful, but the remote server experienced some error. identifier is set to the error mes- sage from the remote server. For all errors, errno is set as appropriate. id_fileno is a macro that takes an id_t handle and returns the actual socket file descriptor used for the connection to the remote server. ERRORS
ETIMEDOUT The call timed out and non-blocking I/O was not set. EXAMPLES
Here's an example how to handle the reply from id_reply() in the case that non-blocking I/O is set. Note that id_reply() will return 0 as long as it's not finished parsing a reply. int rcode; ... idp = id_open(...) ... while ((rcode = id_parse(idp, timeout, &lport, &fport, &id, &op, &cs)) == 0) ; if (rcode < 0) { if (errno == ETIMEDOUT) foo(); /* Lookup timed out */ else bar(); /* Fatal error */ } else if (rcode == 1) { /* Valid USERID protocol reply */ } else if (rcode == 2) { /* Protocol ERROR reply */ } SEE ALSO
RFC-1413, socket(2), select(2) AUTHORS
Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se> Par Emanuelsson <pell@lysator.liu.se> BUGS
For ident_lookup and ident_id the blocking time in extreme cases might be as much as three times the value given in the timeout parameter. Lysator ACS 4 April 1993 IDENT(3)