Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editors for UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Editors for UNIX Post 20363 by isacs on Thursday 25th of April 2002 07:23:50 AM
Old 04-25-2002
what kind of editor youŽre looking for?

Normally a texteditor like vi is installed on every system often youŽll find emacs installed as well.

Just try:

vi mytext.txt

BRGDS,

Frank

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

editors?

Just started out with C and are looking for a good editor in *nix that marks the code with colors. This is maybe a newbie thing to have the C code in colors but i like it and you can almost always se when you are typing wrong. :) Ive heard that emacs should have that option but i havent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hexdoctor
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail utilities and editors.

I was wondering what other mail utilities besides 'mutt, unix mail, PINE and elm' are available for unix. Also, what other editors are around besides 'VI, pico, vim and emacs'... I've been searching the net looking for some answers, but nothing much has come up.. thanx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shonnie
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

GUI Text Editors in WinXP -- what's their problem?

jEdit, Total Edit, EDXOR, all have one thing in common -- whatever they save in what they call "Unix" encoding and line endings inevitably shows up in a CLI text editor like pico or vim having garbage characters somewhere close to the beginning or, though this is more rare, somewhere in the body of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

opinions on video editors

What is everyones opinions on these video editors? PiTiVi Avidemux Cinelerra Kdenlive Kino Linux Video Editing: Top Five Linux Video Editors (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics about shell and editors and default settings

Hi all, I have 3-4 years of experience working on unix environment. I am not a beginner, but unix is not my primary skill set. I am very good at awk programming and doing many of my tasks very well, really very weak on basics. I moved to a new job recently and the settings there are driving me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
5 Replies
TCM(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TCM(1)

NAME
tcm - Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling SYNOPSIS
tcm [options] DESCRIPTION
tcm is an X11/Motif based startup program for the Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling (TCM). With tcm you can display and start up all avail- able tools. ARGUMENTS
In addition to the standard X11 toolkit options (see X11(7)), tcm accepts the options listed below: -help Write all available options to standard output and quit. -priv_cmap Start tcm (and the tools that are launched from tcm) with a private colormap. -version Write the TCM version to standard output and quit. ENVIRONMENT
The TCM_HOME environment variable should be the directory where the TCM files are installed. PATH Should include $TCM_HOME/bin MANPATH Should include $TCM_HOME/man PRINTER Name of the default printer that is used by the tools. LD_LIBRARY_PATH Should include $TCM_HOME/lib when the distribution contains shared object libraries (files ending on .so) in $TCM_HOME/lib. FILES
The following relative path names are relative to $TCM_HOME. lib/help/* The help directory contains a collection of text files for the on-line help. lib/TCM X Resources (the same as the ones that are built-in). You can customize the fonts and colors by setting resources in your X defaults database. Each string of the form ``TCM.resource:definition'' sets a resource. lib/tcm.conf TCM editor configuration file. This file contains values for some of the editor defaults like the page size, the default fonts etc. This file is read by each editor upon startup. $HOME/.tcmrc Each user of TCM can override some of the options of tcm.conf by its own configuration file, installed in $HOME/.tcmrc. SEE ALSO
Frank Dehne, Roel Wieringa and Henk van de Zandschulp -- TCM (Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling), User's Guide and Reference. This document is available as PostScript and HTML in $TCM_HOME/doc or as HTML via the URL http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm. X11(7), tgd(1), tgt(1), tgtt(1), tesd(1), tstd(1), tefd(1), tfrt(1), tfet(1), ttut(1), tssd(1), tucd(1), tatd(1), tsnd(1), tpsd(1). AUTHOR
Frank Dehne (frank@cs.vu.nl). BUGS
Please send bug reports to tcm@cs.utwente.nl. 09 January 2000 TCM(1)