Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compiling Software
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Compiling Software Post 19922 by LivinFree on Thursday 18th of April 2002 03:06:00 AM
Old 04-18-2002
I actually don't think there are GCC binaries available for Linux there...

What distribution are you using?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C compiling

I recently loaded SuSE on my intel comp. I am presently taking a walk down memory lane from my days at UofT. I was fiddling round with cc and the gcc compilers. I wrote a basic basic basic program . I tried to compile it as I remember doing in Uni. The problem is that it can't find the header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling

would anyone know of a good online tutorial on compiling and installing tarballs? i'm looking for one that assumes that you know very little to nothing about unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling qt

i am trying to compile and install free qt for x11 2.2.4 in order to use kde 2.1. i'm using freebsd 4.3 i currently have XFree86 installed and working. i followed these instructions: ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/INSTALL i get through the unpacking fine and i set my .profile. --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling software

I am new to unix so please forgive ignorance. I am running openbsd-2.9 and need some help. All the software I run was added via the package system openbsd has. There have been times when I need an app. But it was not in the openbsd ports and or packages system. I usually just wait for it to show up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
3 Replies

5. Programming

compiling

I am new to unix so please forgive ignorance. I am running openbsd-2.9 and need some help. All the software I run was added via the package system openbsd has. There have been times when I need an app. But it was not in the openbsd ports and or packages system. I usually just wait for it to show up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

re-compiling

I have a problem. How can I be sure that the binary currently in production is the binary originally produced by the compiler? I ask because recompiling the sources (ALL sources + stripping away the metadata: strip ...) does not give the same result. I am pretty sure that I wasn't hacked! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aViking
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling UNIX software packages Question

I am trying to learn how compile programs using this lesson. UNIX Tutorial Seven I am stuck at 7.4 Configuring and creating the Makefile. It stats that I need to configure the utility with my home directory. After doing the echo $HOME command I get /home/Bill_Gates. It then says to insert... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jae99
6 Replies

8. UNIX Benchmarks

error compiling bm software under Solaris 10

anyone tried it , under Solaris 10 using make (part of SUNWsprot) and gcc 4.6 compiler.. got an error complaining about the Makefile script syntax... I don't think that's compatible at all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)