Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Disk Mirroring?? have any idea??? Post 19563 by thehoghunter on Friday 12th of April 2002 05:05:11 PM
Old 04-12-2002
Back when my father did this - the answer would be no - it was too expensive.

Now, it too expensive not to. If you have a server that HAS to be up one of the first things you want to do is to have your OS drives mirrored.

Disadvantage - writes to multiple drives

Advantages - reads from multiple drives - protects server from down time - allows (possibly) on-line backups with no down time for users.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is disk mirroring in unix?

Can anyone give some answers on what is disk mirroring in Unix? It may be related to unix online backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk mirroring under RedHat 8

I would like to build a new box that has the disk mirrored to another IDE disk on a different channel. Does anyone know if a RAID controller like the Promise is supported under RedHat 8, or should I use a software RAID. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk mirroring

Good Morning :) I have a new challenge to solve, I am going to write a new backup disk mirroring script. The current one, whcih is useing 'dd' caused some stalled systems :( Currently I am in the phase of experimenting with different methods, I was thinking about dump/restore afio/cpio or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk mirroring

Hi I have two raw disk that I want to mirror and then create soft partition on that. Could someone please help in the steps required c0t1d0 c0t0d0 Thanks Ajwat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Help !! disk Mirroring

Hi I have a Sunfire X4100 box with a 4 disk Chassis (although I only have 2 disks in it). I have been asked to add two more disks into the chassis so that I can mirror the original two using SVM .....Ive read through a couple of SVM docs but am finding it a little confusing, and if any of you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mirroring Disk Geometry

How can one mirror disk geometry from one hard disk to another in Solaris. Is disk snapshot same as a mirror? Pls explain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexusujx
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 Disk Mirroring

Has anyone managed to set up disk mirroring in Solaris 10 yet? If so can you point me in the direction of some useful documentation please. Cheers (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: korfnz
25 Replies

8. Solaris

Disk Mirroring on solaris 5.8

Hi Friends, I am having Sun Solaris 5.8 OS installed having 2 different size hard disk, sizes are c0t0d0s0(160 GB) and c0t2d0s0 (40GB). I have installed Sun Solaris 5.8 OS in c0t0d0s0 (160GB) harddisk. I have configured all the parameters required for disk mirroring. But when executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
4 Replies

9. Solaris

disk mirroring

hi every body I'm new to solaris and I need your help in how to configure disk mirroring for 4 hard disks so that two of them will be replica to the other two ...??? Thanxx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Disk Mirroring

Hi, How to identify whether the disk is being mirrored or not in RHEL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies
IOSTAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 IOSTAT(1)

NAME
iostat - report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [ drives ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
Iostat iteratively reports the number of characters read and written to terminals per second, and, for each disk, the number of transfers per second, kilobytes transferred per second, and the milliseconds per average seek. It also gives the percentage of time the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (niced) processes, in system mode, and idling. To compute this information, for each disk, seeks and data transfer completions and number of words transferred are counted; for terminals collectively, the number of input and output characters are counted. Also, each sixtieth of a second, the state of each disk is examined and a tally is made if the disk is active. From these numbers and given the transfer rates of the devices it is possible to determine average seek times for each device. The optional interval argument causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since a reboot and each subsequent report is for the last interval only. The optional count argument restricts the number of reports. If more than 4 disk drives are configured in the system, iostat displays only the first 4 drives, with priority given to Massbus disk drives (i.e. if both Unibus and Massbus drives are present and the total number of drives exceeds 4, then some number of Unibus drives will not be displayed in favor of the Massbus drives). To force iostat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. FILES
/dev/kmem /vmunix SEE ALSO
vmstat(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 IOSTAT(1)