Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Two Files Created For Every One? Post 19561 by rwb1959 on Friday 12th of April 2002 04:44:05 PM
Old 04-12-2002
The file with the "~" is a backup file created automatically
by vi when you make a change to the original.
Check your vi settings and turn this feature off
if you don't want it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

files created within last 10 mins

Any simple 1 liners to check a directory to see if a file was created within the last 10 mins? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files created by particular user

How i get the all the files created by particular user?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files created in last 24 hours

I need a script which list the files which is starting with the word heap*** and that is created before past 24 hours.I need the script using find command. please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display files created on particular date

hi , i am trying to display the files created on a particular date. I have tried using find .-mtime +n but these files are created on november 6th 2007 , so i'm not sure of what the 'n' value should be. And the number of files created on that particular day are more than 5000 so i have to make a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

files created with different permissions

Hi, Within a SQL file i am calling 5 shell scripts in back ground and redirecting their outputs to different log files in a specific directory. Now when I observed is, the log files are created with different permissions even though i did not do any thing specific. For example in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steria_learner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gzip files as they are created

Hello. I have a scripting query that I am stumped on which I hope you can help with. Basically, I have a ksh script that calls a process to create n number of binary files. These files have a maximum size of 1Gb. The process can write n number of files at once (parallel operation) based on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eisenhorn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -l all files created between two times

solaris 8 and solaris 10 c shell I have a /local/tmp/ directory that is cleared out every day and files are created in it all day long from 0000 - 2359 (24 hour clock) A new file is created in this directory every couple of minutes. I want a script "rrtime" that takes two arguments hhmm1 and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count todays created files and old files

Hello experts, I used following approach to get listing of all files of remote server. Now I have remote server file information on same server. I am getting listing in the output.txt I want to count today's created files and old files. I want to compare the numbers... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing files that were created at a certain Date

Guys i am having a bit of a trouble finding the creation date of a file. What i have to do is to redirect the output of a command (which i believed was ls -l but this command shows only the Modification time) into a file, which will contain all the files that were created on a certain date, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimas13
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing the file name and no of records in each files for the files created on a specific day

Hi, I want to display the file names and the record count for the files in the 2nd column for the files created today. i have written the below command which is listing the file names. but while piping the above command to the wc -l command its not working for me. ls -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
5 Replies
CREAT(2)							System Calls Manual							  CREAT(2)

NAME
creat - create a new file SYNOPSIS
creat(name, mode) char *name; DESCRIPTION
Creat creates a new file or prepares to rewrite an existing file called name, given as the address of a null-terminated string. If the file did not exist, it is given mode mode, as modified by the process's mode mask (see umask(2)). Also see chmod(2) for the construction of the mode argument. If the file did exist, its mode and owner remain unchanged but it is truncated to 0 length. The file is also opened for writing, and its file descriptor is returned. The mode given is arbitrary; it need not allow writing. This feature is used by programs which deal with temporary files of fixed names. The creation is done with a mode that forbids writing. Then if a second instance of the program attempts a creat, an error is returned and the program knows that the name is unusable for the moment. SEE ALSO
write(2), close(2), chmod(2), umask (2) DIAGNOSTICS
The value -1 is returned if: a needed directory is not searchable; the file does not exist and the directory in which it is to be created is not writable; the file does exist and is unwritable; the file is a directory; there are already too many files open. ASSEMBLER
(creat = 8.) sys creat; name; mode (file descriptor in r0) CREAT(2)