Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filesystem Creation
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Filesystem Creation Post 19447 by thehoghunter on Thursday 11th of April 2002 11:37:58 AM
Old 04-11-2002
The following taken from Sunsolve - ( moving filesystems and boot devices with ufsdump and ufsrestore) - the steps not needed for your question were removed.

Step 1: Perform a complete system backup.

Step 2: Use format (see man format) to create the partitions wanted on the target drive. (NOTE: /opt is not a legal tag so this partition's tag will be unassigned.)

c0t2d0s0 root
c0t2d0s1 swap
c0t2d0s2 backup
c0t2d0s3 unassigned
c0t2d0s4 unassigned
c0t2d0s5 unassigned (opt)
c0t2d0s6 usr
c0t2d0s7 var

Step 3: Label the disk when partitioning is complete. Exit format.

Step 4: newfs each of the partitions on the target drive.
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s5
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s6
# newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s7

Step 5: Mount each of the new filesystems from the source drive. (not needed for swap and backup)
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0 /newroot
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5 /newopt
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s6 /newusr
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7 /newvar

Step 6: Update /etc/vfstab
This is the target /etc/vfstab.

#device device mount FS fsck mount mount
#to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options
#
#/dev/dsk/c1d0s2 /dev/rdsk/c1d0s2 /usr ufs 1 yes -
fd - /dev/fd fd - no -
/proc - /proc proc - no -
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s1 - - swap - no -
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0 / ufs 1 no
-
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s5 /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s3 /opt ufs 2 yes
-
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s3 /usr ufs 2 yes
-
/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7 /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s7 /var ufs 2 yes
-
swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes -
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bootable CD creation

Hi all, I've been looking around for a easy to read text on how to create a bootable CD of solaris. I'm not the best with a Solaris machine but know enough to keep myself out of trouble most of the time. So what I want to do is create a bootable CD for Solaris. So in the installation of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. AIX

Filesystem creation over existing Directory

Is it possible to create a Filesystem with the mount point over an existing Directory, without loosing the data in the Directory? eg:- /u01 -> /pmmpd/u01 (Directory with soft link) /pmmpd/u01 (Need to create this filesystem, without loosing data) Thanks TheDoc (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDoc
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

folder creation

Hi, help me to write a shell script to check the folder is exsting as with the current date in specified path,and if not exsting ,i need to create a folder with name as the current date Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rujupriya
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

Void *fork_thread( void *ptr ) i am getting error in this line please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

8. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

9. Solaris

SVM Creation

Hello, I recently patched my Solaris 10 box and found out that few of the apps are not working. Fortunately, I had detached the mirroring prior to patching, so I just booted into my secondary disk and found that my apps are working.... The problem is this was way back in last month....see... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigi_p5
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symlink creation

I am trying to setup my plex server to use symlinks rather than host the movie files. in my storage directory, i have both movies(some in subdirectory of the name and some just in the parent directory) and tvshows, which have subdirectories for each season, which contains the episodes i would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandion
3 Replies
Sys::Filesystem::Netbsd(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Sys::Filesystem::Netbsd(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Filesystem::Netbsd - Return NetBSD filesystem information to Sys::Filesystem SYNOPSIS
See Sys::Filesystem. INHERITANCE
Sys::Filesystem::Netbsd ISA Sys::Filesystem::Unix ISA UNIVERSAL METHODS
version () Return the version of the (sub)module. ATTRIBUTES
The following is a list of filesystem properties which may be queried as methods through the parent Sys::Filesystem object. fs_spec Describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. fs_file Describes the mount point for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as none. If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as 40. fs_vfstype Dscribes the type of the filesystem. fs_mntops Describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. fs_freq Used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. fs_passno Used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. VERSION
$Id: Netbsd.pm 128 2010-05-12 13:16:44Z trevor $ AUTHOR
Jens Rehsack <rehsack@cpan.org> - <http://www.rehsack.de/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009,2010 Jens Rehsack. This software is licensed under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> perl v5.10.1 2010-05-18 Sys::Filesystem::Netbsd(3pm)