Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions... Post 19394 by Neo on Wednesday 10th of April 2002 04:45:18 PM
Old 04-10-2002
And a clone of a sheep is 'not quite a sheep' ??????

Let's don't let X/Open legalese threats obfuscate the fact that UNIX is now a generic design philosophy.... We all know that Linus called his system Linux, based on Unix... and could not call it Unix without paying money to lawyers to fight X/Open's arrogance ... there is great irony in the term "The Open Group" in legal fights with everyone, heh? Orwellian doublespeak if you ask me !!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux

Hello is it possible to have Both Windows AND Unix and even mabey Windows AND Unix AND Linux on 1 machine?? GŪ33Tz:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justin45
7 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux 2

This subject was brought up a short while ago. The question someone asked was is it possible to have Windows, Unix and Linux on one machine. It is possible to have a dual boot machine and it is possible to run Linux under windows and windows under linux. It is better to run Windows under Linux... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacx2
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux on Windows

I installed Vmware wotrkstation and installed Fedora Linux.. is working fine now. While on windows I can access and enjoy fedora linux But I have a question regarding if I download a file in windows and want that file to be transferred to /usr file system in my Fedora linux. How can I do that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
5 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all, im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all. i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business. i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0n1n
12 Replies
os_type(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual						  os_type(3alleg4)

NAME
os_type - Stores the detected type of the OS. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> extern int os_type; DESCRIPTION
Set by allegro_init() to one of the values: OSTYPE_UNKNOWN - unknown, or regular MSDOS OSTYPE_WIN3 - Windows 3.1 or earlier OSTYPE_WIN95 - Windows 95 OSTYPE_WIN98 - Windows 98 OSTYPE_WINME - Windows ME OSTYPE_WINNT - Windows NT OSTYPE_WIN2000 - Windows 2000 OSTYPE_WINXP - Windows XP OSTYPE_WIN2003 - Windows 2003 OSTYPE_WINVISTA - Windows Vista OSTYPE_OS2 - OS/2 OSTYPE_WARP - OS/2 Warp 3 OSTYPE_DOSEMU - Linux DOSEMU OSTYPE_OPENDOS - Caldera OpenDOS OSTYPE_LINUX - Linux OSTYPE_SUNOS - SunOS/Solaris OSTYPE_FREEBSD - FreeBSD OSTYPE_NETBSD - NetBSD OSTYPE_IRIX - IRIX OSTYPE_DARWIN - Darwin OSTYPE_QNX - QNX OSTYPE_UNIX - Unknown Unix variant OSTYPE_BEOS - BeOS OSTYPE_MACOS - MacOS OSTYPE_MACOSX - MacOS X SEE ALSO
allegro_init(3alleg4), os_version(3alleg4), os_multitasking(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 os_type(3alleg4)