Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file? Post 19017 by witt on Thursday 4th of April 2002 11:24:39 PM
Old 04-05-2002
A1 : not necessarily, you can also use small letters in the variables.

A2 : it is not possible to use the file of input as file of output.
Unhappyly you will have that to generate a separate file for output and if to desire, rename it with the name of the file of
input.

e.g.: sed -e s/here/there/g input.file > output.file;mv output.file input.file

I hope help you
witt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting file names to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to rename all my files in a directory to their upper case counterparts .... I want to do this in a single command and not through shell script ... I started off thinking it wud be simple but got stuck up in middle since tr does not work the way i thought ... This is what i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert specific field to upper case in file

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt as below I want to convert the date fields in to upper case field3 and field 6 output.txt Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper to lower case in encoded file

Hi All, I want to change the out put of a decode file from lower to upper. i used tr command but facing issue. set -vx id=$(id) dt=$(date) store=$1 if ]; then cd $APPL_TOP/local/bin cp .sqlpass.Z $$.temp.Z uncompress $$.temp.Z sed -e s/sqlpass/$$.sqlpass/ $$.temp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
MAKEKEY(8)						      System Manager's Manual							MAKEKEY(8)

NAME
makekey - generate encryption key SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/makekey DESCRIPTION
Makekey improves the usefulness of encryption schemes depending on a key by increasing the amount of time required to search the key space. It reads 10 bytes from its standard input, and writes 13 bytes on its standard output. The output depends on the input in a way intended to be difficult to compute (that is, to require a substantial fraction of a second). The first eight input bytes (the input key) can be arbitrary ASCII characters. The last two (the salt) are best chosen from the set of digits, upper- and lower-case letters, and `.' and `/'. The salt characters are repeated as the first two characters of the output. The remaining 11 output characters are chosen from the same set as the salt and constitute the output key. The transformation performed is essentially the following: the salt is used to select one of 4096 cryptographic machines all based on the National Bureau of Standards DES algorithm, but modified in 4096 different ways. Using the input key as key, a constant string is fed into the machine and recirculated a number of times. The 64 bits that come out are distributed into the 66 useful key bits in the result. Makekey is intended for programs that perform encryption (for instance, ed and crypt(1)). Usually makekey's input and output will be pipes. SEE ALSO
crypt(1), ed(1) 7th Edition October 23, 1996 MAKEKEY(8)