Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass variable to sed?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass variable to sed? Post 18964 by kristy on Thursday 4th of April 2002 01:14:03 PM
Old 04-04-2002
Pass variable to sed?

Hi there. If variables are named inside of a ksh script, how is it possible to pass these to sed?

The affected portion of my script goes something like this:

Code:
A=`cut -d. -f1 $FILE`
B=`cut -d. -f2 $FILE`
C=`cut -d. -f3 $FILE`

sed 's/1111/$A/g;s/2222/$B/g;s/3333/$C/g' file > anotherfile

now, I understand that the single quote prevents the shell from interpreting special characters, but if I omit it, the process just hangs there.

Thanks,
kristy

(working with Solaris)

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 10-19-2010 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variable to grep?

Hi I have a such conditional: SPAMH="it is SPAM" if grep -q $SPAMH $NMDIR/$mail; then SPAMHFLAG=1 else SPAMHFLAG=0 fi And grep doesn't catch this string, even it exists there. I think it's a problem with passing $SPAMH to grep. I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xist
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass a variable to sed p in a loop?

Hi, Thanks for looking,,,, (kornshell) tmp3 is a list of line numbers I want to print the lines from my list code: while read j do echo $j #works fine echo $filename #works fine #sed "'$jp'" "$filename" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnMario
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass perl variable to sed

Hello, I'd like to pass a variable to a sed command in a perl script. The script is like this : #!/usr/bin/perl -w $newline="new"; system q(sed '/insert/ i\ '$newline <sed1.txt >sed2.txt); But the interpretor wouldn't recognize $newline, it inserts a "\n" instead. I've also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi_ryo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How To Pass an Array Variable

Hi, I have a master BASH shell script where I define a bunch of variables: $var1=why $var2=is $var3=(this so hard) I would then like to call another shell script and pass these variables to it: $script2 $var1 $var2 $var3 This works fine for var1 and var2. However, var3 is an array,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass variable to sed like in awk (-v switch)

hi all is possible to pass shell (bash) variable to sed like it is in awk? example: awk script is storred in awk.awk file and I am passing variable called var to this file. $ cat awk.awk {if ($5==var) print $0} so it works when i issue $ bash_var=24 $ ls -l | awk -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to SFTP

Hi All, I am using SFTP command to transfer the file. SRC=`pwd` DIG=123 /bin/sftp -B /dev/stdin xyz@abc.net <<:: mput ${SRC}/GGG.${DIG}.tar.gz bye :: The problem is, after entring into sftp command, it is not taking variable values of SRC and DIG. can someone help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

pass a variable line number to sed

num=10 sed -n '$num p' test.txt sed -n '10 p' test.txt works however i am putting the sed command in a loop and the line number is not static Can someone please help me how to achive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figure20012
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)