Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory tar tvf from tape backeped using Post 18904 by kong on Thursday 4th of April 2002 05:04:15 AM
Old 04-04-2002
Data tar tvf from tape backeped using

Hi,

The scenario is as follow:

Backup was done using:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file1.ext
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file2.ext
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file3.ext
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file4.ext
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file5.ext

When I do; tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m,
it only gives me the first file on the tape ( I rewinded the tape
before issuing the command )

My question is; how do I list all the files in the tape, by using one command only? and also restore all files from tape by using one command only?

Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error". Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional: "$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very slow Tar extraction from tape

I'm pulling a 1MB file from tape using tar. It's a 300GB DLT tape and it does have a lot of files on it because it's go the entire OS and Oracle RMAN files and 3000 table exports, but it's taking 2-3 hours to pull this file off of it. Is this type of performance what I should expect? The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate tar file on tape

I've got a KSH/AIX question that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I've got a tape archive program that "tar's" data to a tape. After creating the archive, I'd like to somehow verify that the tape is actually good. So, what I'd like to do as a simple "sanity" check that I can read the tape... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dernsdorff
9 Replies

9. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies

10. Programming

Creating for loop for tar -tvf doesnt work

hi all, i have created a for loop, it looks like this - #!/bin/bash cd /mnt/local/data/tars for tar in * do base=$(basename "$tar") "$base" -tvf >> /mnt/local/data/logs/"$base".csv done but i get this error - ./tar_loop.sh: line 8:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
2 Replies
device_maps(4)							   File Formats 						    device_maps(4)

NAME
device_maps - device_maps file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/device_maps DESCRIPTION
The device_maps file contains access control information about each physical device. Each device is represented by a one line entry of the form: device-name : device-type : device-list : where device-name This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the physical device. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-type This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the generic device type. This field identifies and groups together devices of like type. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-list This is a list of the device special files associated with the physical device. This field contains valid device special file path names separated by white space. The device_maps file is an ASCII file that resides in the /etc/security directory. Lines in device_maps can end with a `' to continue an entry on the next line. Comments may also be included. A `#' makes a comment of all further text until the next NEWLINE not immediately preceded by a `'. Leading and trailing blanks are allowed in any of the fields. The device_maps file must be created by the system administrator before device allocation is enabled. This file is owned by root, with a group of sys, and a mode of 0644. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A Sample device_maps File The following is a sample device_maps file: # scsi tape st1: rmt: /dev/rst21 /dev/nrst21 /dev/rst5 /dev/nrst5 /dev/rst13 /dev/nrst13 /dev/rst29 /dev/nrst29 /dev/rmt/1l /dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/1 /dev/rmt/1h /dev/rmt/1u /dev/rmt/1ln /dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/1n /dev/rmt/1hn /dev/rmt/1un /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/1bn: FILES
/etc/security/device_maps Contains access control information for devices. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), deallocate(1), list_devices(1), dminfo(1M), device_allocate(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if Solaris Auditing has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. On systems configured with Trusted Extensions, the functionality is enabled by default. On such systems, the device_allocate(4) file is updated automatically by the system. SunOS 5.11 30 Apr 2008 device_maps(4)