Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl question Post 18655 by PxT on Monday 1st of April 2002 01:24:55 PM
Old 04-01-2002
Please refer to "man perlfaq1"

Excerpt:
Quote:
A computer scientist will correctly explain that all programs are interpreted, and that
the only question is at what level. But if you ask this question of someone who isn't a
computer scientist, they might tell you that a program has been compiled to physical
machine code once, and can then be run multiple times, whereas a script must be
translated by a program each time it's used.

Perl programs are (usually) neither strictly compiled nor strictly interpreted. They can
be compiled to a byte-code form (something of a Perl virtual machine) or to completely
different languages, like C or assembly language. You can't tell just by looking at it
whether the source is destined for a pure interpreter, a parse-tree interpreter, a byte-
code interpreter, or a native-code compiler, so it's hard to give a definitive answer
here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Hello, pkzipc of a certain zip file yeilds the following in shell PKZIP(R) Version 6.0 FAST! Compression Utility for AIX Copyright 1989-2002 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered Version PKZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off. Patent No. 5,051,745 Viewing .ZIP: test.zip Length... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I copy and paste from the book but this thing is not working. I cannot figure out what is wrong with myline 9.. can someone please tell me # cat ./sort4.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $input = shift; my $output = shift; open(IN, '<', $input) or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question regarding [ ]

Below program, I do not get why item I am looking for is , instead of . When I do $#text, i get the right value for $value1, but when I do , i get somsething4, instead of somsethingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(which is what I am looking for. when I do , I get empty.. why? what did I do wrong? can you... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I fail to see how below answer is 1? can someone explain this for me? DB<3> $string = "The cat sat on the mat"; DB<4> $animal = ($string =~ m/The (.*) sat/); DB<5> print $animal; 1 (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

another perl question

I have a question regarding bulding a hash from a file which has below pattern I thought I could write something like this but clearly my syntax is way off $/ = "\n\n"; $" = "\n"; open(FILE, file1) || die; my %keymaster = ( ); while (<FILE>) { my $topinfo =~... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question ...

I am reading a file in perl script .. during the debug the $linein value is : linein : +ASM1,sys,||¬ |3Æqúoü;”ט|| from this line I am getting the tmepuser and password from above : ($tmpuser, $pwd) = ($linein =~ /^$server\s*,\s*(+)\s*,\|\|(.+)\|\|/sm); I am getting $tmpuser and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question about

Hello everybody, I am new at the forum and a total newbie when it comes to Unix. I am trying to see how I can add the ability to kill a user's processes? I want to add this to my Shel Script Add the code/process into a subroutine. Also, I would like to use an array to store the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinelisch
0 Replies
CC(1)							      General Commands Manual							     CC(1)

NAME
cc, pcc - C compiler SYNOPSIS
cc [ option ] ... file ... pcc [ option ] ... file ... DESCRIPTION
Cc is the UNIX C compiler. It accepts several types of arguments: Arguments whose names end with `.c' are taken to be C source programs; they are compiled, and each object program is left on the file whose name is that of the source with `.o' substituted for `.c'. The `.o' file is normally deleted, however, if a single C program is compiled and loaded all at one go. In the same way, arguments whose names end with `.s' are taken to be assembly source programs and are assembled, producing a `.o' file. The following options are interpreted by cc. See ld(1) for load-time options. -c Suppress the loading phase of the compilation, and force an object file to be produced even if only one program is compiled. -p Arrange for the compiler to produce code which counts the number of times each routine is called; also, if loading takes place, replace the standard startup routine by one which automatically calls monitor(3) at the start and arranges to write out a mon.out file at normal termination of execution of the object program. An execution profile can then be generated by use of prof(1). -f In systems without hardware floating-point, use a version of the C compiler which handles floating-point constants and loads the object program with the floating-point interpreter. Do not use if the hardware is present. -O Invoke an object-code optimizer. -S Compile the named C programs, and leave the assembler-language output on corresponding files suffixed `.s'. -P Run only the macro preprocessor and place the result for each `.c' file in a corresponding `.i' file and has no `#' lines in it. -E Run only the macro preprocessor and send the result to the standard output. The output is intended for compiler debugging; it is unacceptable as input to cc. -o output Name the final output file output. If this option is used the file `a.out' will be left undisturbed. -Dname=def -Dname Define the name to the preprocessor, as if by `#define'. If no definition is given, the name is defined as 1. -Uname Remove any initial definition of name. -Idir `#include' files whose names do not begin with `/' are always sought first in the directory of the file argument, then in directo- ries named in -I options, then in directories on a standard list. -Bstring Find substitute compiler passes in the files named string with the suffixes cpp, c0, c1 and c2. If string is empty, use a standard backup version. -t[p012] Find only the designated compiler passes in the files whose names are constructed by a -B option. In the absence of a -B option, the string is taken to be `/usr/c/'. Other arguments are taken to be either loader option arguments, or C-compatible object programs, typically produced by an earlier cc run, or perhaps libraries of C-compatible routines. These programs, together with the results of any compilations specified, are loaded (in the order given) to produce an executable program with name a.out. The major purpose of the `portable C compiler', pcc, is to serve as a model on which to base other compilers. Pcc does not support options -f, -E, -B, and -t. It provides, in addition to the language of cc, unsigned char type data and initialized bit fields. FILES
file.c input file file.o object file a.out loaded output /tmp/ctm? temporaries for cc /lib/cpp preprocessor /lib/c[01] compiler for cc /usr/c/oc[012] backup compiler for cc /usr/c/ocpp backup preprocessor /lib/fc[01] floating-point compiler /lib/c2 optional optimizer /lib/crt0.o runtime startoff /lib/mcrt0.o startoff for profiling /lib/fcrt0.o startoff for floating-point interpretation /lib/libc.a standard library, see intro(3) /usr/include standard directory for `#include' files /tmp/pc* temporaries for pcc /usr/lib/ccom compiler for pcc SEE ALSO
B. W. Kernighan and D. M. Ritchie, The C Programming Language, Prentice-Hall, 1978 D. M. Ritchie, C Reference Manual monitor(3), prof(1), adb(1), ld(1) DIAGNOSTICS
The diagnostics produced by C itself are intended to be self-explanatory. Occasional messages may be produced by the assembler or loader. Of these, the most mystifying are from the assembler, as(1), in particular `m', which means a multiply-defined external symbol (function or data). BUGS
Pcc is little tried on the PDP11; specialized code generated for that machine has not been well shaken down. The -O optimizer was designed to work with cc; its use with pcc is suspect. PDP11 CC(1)