Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Permissions in Mac OS X
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Permissions in Mac OS X Post 18559 by chenly on Friday 29th of March 2002 11:48:26 PM
Old 03-30-2002
Computer

If you boot from OS 9, you can do whatever you want to that file. Be careful! Additionally, if you follow file path /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager and launch NetInfo Manager, you can follow the menu path Domain>Security to setup and enable the root user on your maching, aka the superuser. WRITE THE ROOT USER PASSWORD DOWN AND PUT IT IN A SAFE PLACE! DO *NOT* PROCEED UNTIL THIS IS DONE! After this is done, choose "Logout" from the Apple menu and log back in as the superuser by clicking on "Other" and typing in "root" as the username and the password you assigned. If "Other" does not appera, choose "System Preferences" from the Apple menu and go to the Users pane; you will be able to control what shows in the login window there. Once you are logged in as the superuser, all application programs, including the Finder, Terminal, and everything else launches with root access, and you can do pretty much whatever you want, but, again, BE CAREFUL. If you tell UNIX to do something silly, it won't second-guess you--it'll just do it, often before you even realize it's started.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mac. PHP fopen() does not create a file. Permissions.

5Thank you to those who responded. After a crazy amount of troubleshooting and getting hints and feedback from others, I was so darn determined to get on with my tutorials and I found the solution myself. Keyword search: php and 'Mac computer' and fopen and chmod. Using:php and Mac and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iHaveAQuestion
1 Replies

6. Web Development

Mac. PHP. fopen( ) does not create a file. Permissions.

Thank you to those who responded. After a crazy amount of troubleshooting and getting hints and feedback from others, I was so darn determined to get on with my tutorials and I found the solution myself. Keyword search: php and 'Mac computer' and fopen and chmod. Using: php and Mac and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iHaveAQuestion
2 Replies
NILOAD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 NILOAD(8)

NAME
niload - load text or flat-file-format data into NetInfo SYNOPSIS
niload [ -v ] [ -d ] [ -m ] [ -p ] [ -t ] { -r directory | format } domain DESCRIPTION
niload loads information from standard input into the given NetInfo domain. If format is specified, the input is interpreted according to the flat-file file format of the same name. The allowed values for format are aliases, bootparams, bootptab, exports, fstab, group, hosts, networks, passwd, printcap, protocols, rpc, and services. If -r directory is specified instead of a flat-file file format, the input is interpreted as "raw" NetInfo data, as generated by nidump -r, and loaded into directory. Note that this operation will delete and replace the entire NetInfo subtree at the specified directory. Any existing records in this subtree will be lost. niload overwrites entries in the existing directory with those given in the input. Entries that are in the directory aren't deleted if they don't exist in the input, unless the -d option is specified. niload must be run as superuser on the master NetInfo server for the given domain, unless one specifies the -p option, which allows one to run from anywhere in the network. OPTIONS
-v Verbose. Prints details of records as they are updated (flat-file formats only). -d Delete entries which are in the directory, but not in the input. -m Merge properties and values. Existing properties will be preserved in the database if they are not present in the input. For exam- ple, if a user record has a "picture" property, loading a passwd-format record for this user will preserve the property. Property values are also merged. -p Prompt for the root password of the given domain so that one can run from other locations in the network besides the master. -t Interpret the domain as a tagged domain. For example, "trotter/network" refers to the database tagged "network" on the machine "trotter". The machine name can be an actual name or an IP address. -r Load entries in "raw" format, as generated by nidump -r. The first argument should be the path of a NetInfo directory into which the information is loaded. Since the input often specifies properties (including "name") at its topmost level, the directory you specify may be renamed as a result of this operation. If the directory you specify does not exist, it will be created. EXAMPLES
"niload passwd . < /etc/passwd" loads the local /etc/passwd file into the local NetInfo database. "niload -d -r /locations ." replaces the contents of /locations in the local domain with input given in nidump "raw" format. SEE ALSO
nidump(8), niutil(8), netinfo(5), aliases(5), bootparams(5), bootptab(5), exports(5), fstab(5), group(5), hosts(5), networks(5), passwd(5), printcap(5), protocols(5), rpc(5), services(5) Apple Computer, Inc. December 22, 1992 NILOAD(8)