Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What $_ variable contains name of running script Post 18444 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of March 2002 11:25:06 AM
Old 03-28-2002
$0
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect_out buffer no such variable running script background

I am trying to use send and receive using expect. the expect_out(buffer) is working fine while it is running it as foreground. But the same script when it is ran as background, the expect_out(buffer) errored out. Is there any factor influence when we run script in foreground and in background? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending running numbers on a variable

hi guys, would appreciate some help here. I need to append running numbers using sed onto a variable that contain a list of IP addresses. I'm basically stuck on the running number part. e.g. 1. 10.0.0.1 2. 10.0.0.2 3. 10.0.0.3 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzaddict
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does 2 scripts running at same use a variable with same name conflict?

All, I have a Bash SFTP script that I run and before I would hardcode the file name. I recently decided to put the filename in a variable called $FILENAME. I had 2 scripts that run at the same time and it seems like in the middle of one of the scripts the variable called the other scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running BASH commands from a variable

I am trying to assign a command to a variable and use it. I have tried every possible quoting variation except the correct one. :confused: Here is an example: CMD="grep description $i | grep "::"" $CMD | nawk ...Thanks in advance for you help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aschera
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple files through shell script with a variable

Ok, so this question is probably much easier than I'm making it, and thus why I've spent almost 2 hours now on this :wall:. I'm trying to use a command that reads out specific data from a file and and saves it to another file. The code is only a few lines, and here it is below: #!/bin/csh ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysterionRises
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running variable on command line

Hi, I have a unix script, and I have problem, where I work out the variable I need. But it will not excute the variable from the script ? See my script below for details : #!/bin/sh ENVGRP=`hostname |cut -c1-3 | tr '' ''` ENVINST=${ENVGRP}`hostname -i |cut -d\. -f 4` echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fettie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running after assigning empty string for a variable

Hi, This is the first time I see something like this, and I don't why it happens. Please give me some help. I am really appreciate it. Basically I am trying to remove all empty lines of an input.. #!/bin/bash set -e set -x str1=`echo -e "\nhaha" | grep -v ^$` #str2=`echo -e "\n" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomano
4 Replies

8. Solaris

TZ variable not exported when running from cron

Hi, I have the following executable in cron: 10 * * * 1-5 /apps/bin/dmg_cronlaunch -ENVI ENVIRONMENT -EXE exec -FILE ratespb_sdos_prdf_`TZ=US/Eastern;date +\%Y\%m\%d\%H\%M\%S`.sdos > /tmp/dmg_exec.log.`/usr/bin/date +\%Y_\%m_\%d_\%H:\%M:\%S` 2>&1 Comprised of the following: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cvg
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return variable value from a script running in background

I have a script which runs a script in the background. Now the script running in background returns some variable value and i want to catch return value in the parent script. e.g. Parent Script : #!/bin/bash ./Back.sh & pid=$! echo "a=$a" echo "b=$b" echo "d=$((a+b))" wait $pid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable to another script running in background

i have a script inside which i have generated a background job which will run another script. How do i export the variables from parent script to the child script which wil run in the background . a.sh:- export tmpdir="/usr/tmp" nohup b.sh& b.sh:- echo $tmpdir But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)