Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut, Copy and Paste with X
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Cut, Copy and Paste with X Post 18279 by PxT on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 01:40:57 PM
Old 03-26-2002
The most common method of copy/pasting is with the mouse buffer. i.e. highlight/copy with left button, and paste with middle button. This works in just about all X apps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trans application cut, copy and paste? Drag and Drop

I'm using Red Hat 8 and I'm really fustrated with cut and paste. When I am viewing a URL in emacs I cannot paste it into the browser address window. Yesterday, I tried VI (or was it VIM?) and it recognized it as a URL and allowed me to right mouse click on it and brought up the browser with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Paste and Insert Help

Hello I have a very large file where say each line is made up of 80 characters. I want to cut the characters from 20-30 and 50-60 from each line and then insert a delimiter between them (# or | etc). eg input file 000000000131.12.20990000590425246363375670011200140406... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut, copy + paste

Hi all! How do I cut, copy and paste under unix??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aitor314
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste using awk

Hi i need a favour i have a file which has some trillions of records. The file is like this 11111000000000192831840914000000000000000000000000000 45789899090000000000000000011111111111111111111111111 I want to cut specific postions in each line like cut1-3 and assisgn it to a variable and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: richa2.m
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste?

hi, I have a file with content like this for an employee: EmployeeID 101 Day_type, day vacation,1/2/2009 sick day, 3/2/2009 personal day, 4/5/2009 jury duty day, 5/5/2009 how do I make the result to show: EmployeeID,Day_type,day 101,vacation,1/2/2009 101,sick day,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbchen
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste

Hi, Need a help with shell script. I have to search for a string in one of the file, if match found, copy the line to a new file and delete the line from the exisiting file. eg: 83510000000000063800000.1800000.1600000.1600000.2400000.1800000.2000000.21... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Cut and paste

Hi, I have a file like this --> Consider z as space #cat filename ABC <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> EFG XYZ <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> I need to cut the <!--RESUMO--> part and paste it to the previous line so that the file will look like this--> ABC <!--Nzzzzz--><!--RESUMO-->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsonata
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cut and paste

let i have A file and B file A has contains 4 fields as below ---------------- f1 f2 f3 f4 B file consists of 5 fields as below -------------------- f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 need to display as below output: f5 f1 f3 f8 f9 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANSHUMAN1983
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in cut or paste

Hello, I have some problem in cut or paste command for my text data. Input1.txt : I use cut command : cut -d ' ' -f1 Input1.txt > result.txt result.txt : Then, I use paste command to merge result.txt. paste -d ' ' result.txt Input1.txt > output.txt output.txt showed : I use cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: awil
1 Replies
WSMOUSED(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       WSMOUSED(8)

NAME
wsmoused -- multipurpose mouse daemon SYNOPSIS
wsmoused [-d device] [-f conf_file] [-m modes] [-n] DESCRIPTION
The wsmoused daemon provides mouse support in console, allowing copying and pasting text. The left mouse button is used to select text when held and you use the right button to paste it in the active console. Supported options are as follows: -d device specifies the device file to be used as the wsmouse(4) device. Defaults to /dev/wsmouse. -f conf_file specifies the configuration file to be used. Defaults to /etc/wsmoused.conf. -m modes specifies which modes should be activated. Mode names are given in the argument as a whitespace separated list. Overrides the 'modes' directive in the configuration file. -n do not fork in the background (for debugging purposes). Overrides the 'nodaemon' directive in the configuration file. Many other details can be tuned. See wsmoused.conf(5) for more information. wsmoused is designed to be a multipurpose mouse daemon. Functionality is provided through independent modes, enabled either through the -m flag or through the 'modes' property in the configuration file (the former takes precedence). The action mode The 'action' mode executes commands upon receiving mouse button events. Commands can be associated on a button basis, and can differentiate between push or release events. The selection mode The 'selection' mode provides visual copy and paste support in text consoles when using the wscons(4) device. A selection is created by clicking with the primary mouse button at any point on the screen and dragging it while clicked. When the button is released, the selected text is copied to an internal buffer for further pasting with the secondary button. FILES
/dev/ttyE[0-n] tty devices /dev/ttyEstat wsdisplay status notification device /dev/wsmouse[0-n] mouse control device /etc/wsmoused.conf default configuration file SEE ALSO
su(1), wscons(4), wsdisplay(4), wsmouse(4), rc.conf(5), ttys(5), wscons.conf(5), wsmoused.conf(5), moused(8), rc.subr(8) HISTORY
The wsmoused command first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
The wsmoused command was developed by Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@NetBSD.org>. CAVEATS
wsmoused does work properly only with display drivers, which implement WSDISPLAYIO_GETWSCHAR and WSDISPLAYIO_PUTWSCHAR ioctls. Currently only vga(4) and drivers utilizing vcons(9) support it. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
When using the 'action' mode, commands specified in the configuration file are executed as the user who started the daemon. By default, this user is 'root' when using the rc.subr(8) framework. You should set 'wsmoused_user="<some_user>"' in rc.conf(5) to a safer user (and adjust file permissions accordingly) if the commands you want to execute do not require superuser privileges. An alternative is to use su(1) as part of the command string in the configuration file. NOTES
The following notes apply to all work modes: o When switching from the X screen to a text terminal, there is a small delay (five seconds) until the mouse works again. This time is used by X to close the mouse device properly. The following notes apply to the 'selection' mode only: o The mouse cursor is only visible for a short period of time. It will disappear when you stop moving it to avoid console corruption (which happens if it is visible and there is text output). o You need to change the getty program which is run in the first virtual terminal to use /dev/ttyE0 instead of /dev/console. To do this, edit /etc/ttys and /etc/wscons.conf. BSD
January 1, 2012 BSD