Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: managing users
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers managing users Post 18 by Neo on Wednesday 20th of September 2000 12:55:11 PM
Old 09-20-2000
Java

That is easy, if I read your question correctly.

Lets say you have users A, B, C, D.

Set up a new group, say Newgroup in the /etc/group(s)
file. In that file, add A, B, C D to that group.

On the directories, give the appropriate permission
to allow the access you want to that group.

Details are in all standard UNIX books. Hope this helps.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing nodes???

Does anyone know something about this? I have no idea what it means and how to do it. but if anyone can give me and explanation and also point me to a website, i'd really appreciate it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

2. Programming

error in managing linklist

I have used link list in my program to operate on set of values the operations that i am doing : add , delete from link list when i am deleting the intermidiate or last value it is not giving any error but when i am deleting the 1 st value then program hangs can anyone suggest me the reason (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhakti_2025
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing Users in a Global Environment

Hello, I am interested in your strategy for handling engineers Unix accounts when the engineers must log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global environment. The engineers home directory and normal environment is local to where the engineer is sitting. When they log in to a remote... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randal
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Managing FileSystems on Solaris

Hello. I have got Solaris 10 8/07 on x86 installed successfully using CDs. While I had inserted 1st CD - I created 2 new filesystems also. But now after entering into Solaris - How do I manipulate sizes or created/delete filesystems by going to terminal? Thank you! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
15 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Managing Geeks

Hi, I recently found this article in computerworld and I think it is very true - at least in my company ... what do you guys think - is the author right? Is it ignorant management that makes us IT people seem to be anti-social and weird? Please share your thoughts Kind regards zxmaus (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Problems managing user

I installed Solaris 10 in an old Dell computer given to me. The filesystem is ZFS (Default). The problem is that after logging in as root (first login) I wanted to add a user : n2jkw. I added the user at /export/home/n2jkw BTW, /export/home is where the 150G extra Hard Drive is mounted to.... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: n2jkw
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr help - managing strings

Hi guys, I need to use regular expressions in linux and I'm not quite experience in that field, maybe someone could give me some help with it. Basically, I need to take a text like this. A234321=http://www.google..... a normal URL But, I need to take the string starting at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
0 Replies

8. Programming

Managing and using PTSes

Hello. I need to simulate a few serial links (doing a simulation of an application for a robot) and found socat which, at least with minicom, is working flawlessly. I would really like to make pts static: ie same numbers between reboots, and automatic (not me opening terminals and leaving... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erupter
2 Replies
group(5yp)																group(5yp)

Name
       group - group file in a Yellow Pages environment

Description
       For each group, the file contains:

Group name
       Encrypted password
       Numerical group ID
       Comma-separated list of all users allowed in the group

This is an ASCII file.  The fields are separated by colons.  Each group is separated from the next by a new-line.  If the password field is
       null, no password is needed.

This file resides in the directory.  Because of the encrypted passwords, it can and does have general read permission and can be used,  for
       example, to map numerical group ID's to names.

A  group file can have a line beginning with a plus (+), which means to incorporate entries from the Yellow Pages.  There are two styles of
       + entries: All by itself, + means to insert the entire contents of the Yellow Pages group file at that point; +name  means  to  insert  the
       entry  (if any) for name from the Yellow Pages at that point.  If a + entry has a password or group member field that is not null, the con-
       tents of that field will override what is contained in the Yellow Pages.  The numerical group ID field cannot be overridden.

Examples
       +myproject:::bill, steve
       +:

If these entries appear at the end of a group file, then the group myproject will have members bill and steve, and the password	and  group
       ID  of  the  Yellow  Pages entry for the group myproject.  All the groups listed in the Yellow Pages will be pulled in and placed after the
       entry for myproject.

Restrictions
       The command will not change group passwords.

Files
       ULTRIX file system group file

Yellow Pages group map

See Also
       yppasswd(1yp), setgroups(2), crypt(3), initgroups(3x), passwd(5yp)

group(5yp)