Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: async vs sync shells
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting async vs sync shells Post 17094 by ted5547 on Monday 11th of March 2002 08:54:53 AM
Old 03-11-2002
Question async vs sync shells

I am calling a shell script using PL/SQL stored procedures. This works great but I need the calls to be run synchronously and not asynchronously. I need the shell script to finish before returning control back to the procedure. Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Async or Sync I/O on NFS ?

Solaris 2.8 I know regular filesystems use Async I/O on Solaris 2.8. Does anybody know if NFS uses Sync I/O or Async I/O ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marist89
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Async DNS request

Yes, really can't find anything about this. Can anyone suggest a way, how to do it? This is really what I need for. I need for may be list of system calls to read about or probably some C\C++ sources... Please, help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LocalStorm
1 Replies

3. Programming

How to Write Linux Friendly Async Socket I/O

I am presently refactoring a windows deamon with an eye towards porting it to linux someday. Presently the application uses a single background thread and asynchronous socket I/O to implement FTP and HTTP clients in a single switch statement (2000 lines and 100 cases just for the switch... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Sync to Green vs. Separate Sync

Hi all....I have a Sun Ultra2 that I want to use with my PC monitor. I have purchased an adapter that does not work and I was told I need to change my video card setting (if I can) to Separate Sync.....my Monitor product number ends in 1343......I am running SunOS 5.7 ......anyone have any ideas? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Async-Signal-Safe versus MT-Safe

Hi, I am Solaris 9 developer and notice that the documentation does not provide a clear notion of the inherent concurrency in routines defined as "Async-Signal-Safe". Routines defined as "MT-Safe" obviously have the best level of concurrency, compared to normal "Safe" interfaces. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tristan12
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Difference between sync & async in nfs

Hi All.... This is related to exporting a file system through nfs. Just wanted to understand the significance of sync/async in nfs. We give this entry in /etc/export file. What is the difference between these two. Any hep is appreciated. Regards, Amol. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
2 Replies

7. Solaris

see if async i/o is enabled in Solaris 9

Hi guys. This may be a stupid question but I am trying to see if my Solaris 9 server has async i/o enabled... Is there a quick way to determine this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shells

Lets say my default shell is bash and then i load up csh and then ksh. How would i exit csh without exiting ksh? so basically i gone from bash > csh > ksh and i wish to close csh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

9. Programming

Async webpage read

hi i need to asynchronous connect to webpage which has only text file. need to read its content, line by line using linux socket. any samples? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leo2008
1 Replies

10. AIX

Disable async IO at OS level

Hi , User claims that report refresh is taking longer time than usual time and asking us to disable async IO at OS level. 1 DB is running in this server This is prod server OS -- AIX My question is would there be an impact to database and server if we disable async IO in OS? is this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD