Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to kill stranded/orphan process by users. Post 16823 by MizzGail on Thursday 7th of March 2002 08:49:37 AM
Old 03-07-2002
You have to know your applications fairly well to do this automated.
We are on digital unix.
Do you have a common parent process that launches the child processes that you want to kill ??
We have "captive" users that log in through a main menu script. If you have something like this, you can use ps -ef to grep for processes where initial login parent script is gone.
Many times our processes end up reverting to uid 1 under root and that makes it very easy to cleanup by grepping on the known process name and checking to see if the parent is uid one. (when it shouldnt be uid 1)
Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process of other users

Hi, Can I kill process submitted by another uesr (say user1) if I'm not the su. If I got some previledges granted from user1, can I kill user1's process? Please advise? Thank you very much! Regards, Tse (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsesukfan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process

Hello guys, I have a process named monitoreo, with 'monitoreo start' my process start until i kill them, now i want to do 'monitoreo stop' to kill them. After 'monitoreo start' i have this process running: ps -af UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD ati 10958 1495 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

4. AIX

Script allows user to kill other users: I'd like to know HOW...

Hello list, Have a problem that's highlighting gaps in my knowledge; can you assist? We have a script that's tacked onto our trading application which allows branch managers etc. to kill off the sessions of other users at their branch. A menu option in the application spawns a shell running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill process...

hello Bros, I need to write some script that i can put it on crontab which checks for a process X if running. If the process X is ruuning then take the PID and kill it or display message that says process X is not running. I am using AIX 5.3 Thanks guys.:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill a Process by Name...

Hello all... new to these forums and a bit of a newbie with linux aswell. I need to figure out how to write a shell script to kill a process by name as given to the script as an argument. I've got that part working OK, but i need to make sure that the script does not allow processes that are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cannon1707
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot kill hacker process with my script

I want to kill a process of xterm that is run by hacker with my login name. So, I write a shell script to do my goal. I run 2 xterm and then I run my script on a first xterm. it should kill the process of a second xterm but it doesn't.Why? Here is my code : #!/bin/ksh myps=$(ps -f|grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is orphan process handling by Solaris os and Linux os same?

In solaris, orphan process is put to sleep mode and does not consume any CPU resources. In Linux, orphan process is kept in running state consuming all CPU and Ram resources. Is it the case? Is there a difference on how these operating systems will handle orphan processes? The route cause of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Belure Pooja B
10 Replies
PGREP(1)							Linux User's Manual							  PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-cflvx] [-d delimiter] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] pkill [-signal] [-fvx] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri- teria have to match. For example, pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-c Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. -d delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -l List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v Negates the matching. -x Only match processes whose name (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: unix$ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: unix$ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: unix$ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: unix$ renice +4 `pgrep netscape` EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1) regex(7) signal(7) killall(1) skill(1) kill(1) kill(2) STANDARDS
pkill and pgrep were introduced in Sun's Solaris 7. This implementation is fully compatible. AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> is the current maintainer of the procps package. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux June 25, 2000 PGREP(1)