Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: biff
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers biff Post 16716 by informshilpa on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 06:23:13 AM
Old 03-06-2002
sorry for confusing....
we are porting a well developed software from Compaq to HP. In one script i found biff n.but when i run the script on HP it is showing biff:not found. there is no manual help for biff for HP.So i searched for a command by which i can replace biff n. i got a command which is quite similar,(newmail),but there is no option which can replace 'n' option there...pls help.
thank you,
shilpa

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Biff service not defined in /etc/services

Hello all. I am getting this error on my mail log file at /app/syslog in AIX. Sep 23 07:12:06 teamaix mail:info bellmail: biff service is not defined in /etc/services Here is what I have for the settings: teamaix(root): / -> biff is y teamaix(root): / -> mesg is y teamaix(root): / ->... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Biff service not defined in /etc/services

Hello all. I am getting this error on my mail log file at /app/syslog in AIX. Sep 23 07:12:06 teamaix mail:info bellmail: biff service is not defined in /etc/services ========================================================= Here is what I have for the settings: teamaix(root): / -> biff... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
0 Replies
biff(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   biff(1)

NAME
biff - Notifies users when mail arrives SYNOPSIS
biff [y | n] DESCRIPTION
The biff command informs the system whether you want to be notified when mail arrives during the current terminal session. The following command enables notification: biff y The following command disables notification: biff n When mail notification is enabled, the From: and Subject: header lines and up to the first five lines of the message are displayed. The total display is 560 characters, or seven lines terminated by newline characters, whichever occurs first. The biff y command is often included in the $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file to be executed each time you log in. The biff command operates asynchronously. For synchronous notification, use the MAIL variable of sh or ksh, or the mail variable of csh. EXAMPLES
To display the current setting, enter: biff To be notified during the current terminal session whenever mail arrives, enter the following in your $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file: biff y FILES
Read by login shell (after login. User profile. SEE ALSO
Commands: comsat(8), csh(1), ksh(1), mail(1), mailx(1), Bourne Shell sh(1b), POSIX Shell sh(1p) biff(1)