Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Metacharacters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Metacharacters Post 16689 by LivinFree on Wednesday 6th of March 2002 01:26:32 AM
Old 03-06-2002
If I understand this correctly, there are three ways to do this:
Code:
echo \*
echo "*"
echo '*'

Does this help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using metacharacters in loops

Is there a way to use metacharacters in a loop or in an if. I want to allow a user to enter Y, y, Yes, yes, Yah, etc... in a loop I tried: read response while *" ] do........ and while *" ] do ......... this works for grep or egrep but not in loops Why?????? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stuck on csh metacharacters

Hello, I have a question, please (I am using tcsh). I thought that if you enclose something in double quotes, then the shell won't interpret it. For example, when I do: % echo "ls *" I get ls * However, if I do: % echo "!l" I get echo "ls -F" ls -F (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Metacharacters analysis

:confused:Hi , Can someone please advise what is the meaning of metacharacters in below code? a_PROCESS=${0##*/} a_DPFX=${a_PROCESS%.*} a_LPFX="a_DPFX : $$ : " a_UPFX="Usage: $a_PROCESS" Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use metacharacters to extract date

If I have a filename as filename.txt.20090807 and I use for FILE in `find . -name "filename*" -type f` do my_time=${FILE#./filename.txt.} I get my output as 20090807 However if my filename is filename.Y20090807.txt Is there a way I can use metacharacters in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

metacharacters separation

I have prepared a script to submit a string in a txt file. However there are somethings that I have to check before submitting the string in the txt file. One of those checks is to determine whether the string entered contains any metacharacters. I have tried sth like; echo "string" | grep -v ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display types of files using metacharacters

1) I want to display all the files in a directory that start with the word chapter, are followed by a digit 1,2,6,8, or 9 and end with .eps or .prn so I came up with this file ~/temp/chapter.eps ~/temp/chapter.prn but is there a better way, i.e. combining both file types into the command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunsta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Vs. Bourne REGEX: metacharacters escaping

I am currently reading a very old reference from O'Reilly: Sed and Awk 2nd Edition reprinted in 2000. So far, it's a solid read and still very relevant. I'd highly recommend this to anyone. The only problem I have with this book is that I had to resort to bourne shell to get my examples to work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
3 Replies
bell(1T)						       Tk Built-In Commands							  bell(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
bell - Ring a display's bell SYNOPSIS
bell ?-displayof window? ?-nice? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command rings the bell on the display for window and returns an empty string. If the -displayof option is omitted, the display of the application's main window is used by default. The command uses the current bell-related settings for the display, which may be modified with programs such as xset. If -nice is not specified, this command also resets the screen saver for the screen. Some screen savers will ignore this, but others will reset so that the screen becomes visible again. KEYWORDS
beep, bell, ring ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tk 8.4 bell(1T)